Agnostic.com

51 11

Does No Kids = Bad Person?

I've noticed that most of my classmates are parents, but I never got there. Having two marriages fail on me, I suppose that's a good thing, but my current marriage also features childlessness. The stork is not delivering to our house anytime soon, and adoption/fostering is less likely.
I'm concerned that I might be seen as "bad" to people. Perception does bring about reality, sometimes. The truth is, it just hasn't happened, for any number of reasons. I think of our cats as our children, but of course, they have different needs from humans.
So, does my lack of having a Mini-Me put me at any kind of disadvantage?

RunsOnCoffee 5 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The quantum tunnel is beamed toward Kho Samui Island in Thailand if you want to conceive. For me it took one night.

People I know for whom the stork doesnt deliver usually kidnap kids to have a bit of fun with them and also be able to hand them back at the end of the day -

But how could you be a bad person for not being able to have a child? Life seems to me a lottery and you have to make the most of it liking what you get rather than getting what you like .

Bad people rob ,steal and murder - Childless couples are just that doesn't mean you can't make relationships with children and I feel for you and glad that love your cats- If you stop believing that you are at a disadvantage and start enjoying what is there that gives you pleasure maybe that fear will recede?

I've heard both sides argued -- that having children is selfish and that having children is not selfish. If you have the resources (tangible and intangible) and want to be a parent, then I think it's fine. If you don't want to, don't. I don't think either makes you a better or worse person.

I have one son and he has brought great joy to my life and continues to do so.That doesn't mean that being childless makes you bad, it just means that you haven't had the experience of being a parent. You can foster and mentor kids without being a parent, and I hope you get to do that because that is also rewarding.

I think choosing to have children is a choice borne of selfishness. I'd say no kids = good person.

I feel there is no "good or bad" associated with having kids...its a personal choice that should be respected!

It is all individual. Some people by choice or not, live meaningful and fulfilled lives without children. Too many people, who have no business being a parent have kids.

To answer the header question. No it doesn't, my aunt and uncle have no kids and are also, for what it's worth god fearing people, but they are lovely, honest, decent human beings.

You probably are too (not the god bit) so be cool 🙂

Nope. Sadly people get judged on it. But it's the people doing the judging who are the sad ones.

Oh, now this is a topic that sings to me.

Context - I was married for 24 years; that ended over a year ago. I am 50 years old now.

No kids. No pets. We just didn't want that dependency (although she did want a dog and I didn't).

Most of my friends have kids. Christ in a sidecar, I have started reading stories to a five year old daughter of a friend of mine. But I would never want that responsibility. If you are "bad", so am I.

The reality , does not live up to the hype . Whether it's by choice or by chance , it's not all it's cracked up to be . Be who you want to be , you'll be happier that way , as will your spouse . And , if you have children you didn't want to be , they won't be happy either . Remember , it's about a 20 year commitment .

As long as you are happy with your life, thats all that matters.

Basically...

I despise those who attempt to judge those who have made a choice to not bring yet MORE children into the world, the way they accuse and judge is beyond infuriating and hypocritical, all things considered...they claim it's 'selfish and immature' to NOT have kids, as they pass on adopting children that need homes to 'leave a legacy' instead, insisting on procreation...

Do people pay your bills? No. Well, then, they should keep to themselves whatever way they see you.

At the brilliant age of 10 y/o I said "I will never have kids." I shocked everybody in the family and, years later...when I repeated my words among friends...I shocked them as well. I have been told I was a savage, less than a woman, a whore...even a basket case for not wanting kids. I didn't give a piff. I was married 28 years and no kids.

People have a "lovely" tendency to vest their decisions and wishes on their friends and relatives...with total disregard for their friends / relatives feelings and beliefs.

I have two kids and I love them and wouldn't change my life. But I've ended up a single parent and my freedom and resources are very limited. My best friend and his wife, no kids. They have the time and money to travel the world and live out their dream life. There's a lot to be said for not procreating.

If not having children is bad, the implication is that having children is good. The only thing having a child means is that the parents had functioning anatomy. What percentage of the world's population were conceived for purely biological reasons? To me, the only thing that makes people different from other animals is our ability to think and reason. Any minimally healthy animal can reproduce; in fact, it is difficult to avoid it when it is desirable not to. I don't regret not creating new human life, but I wish I had been prepared to nurture a human life created only because a sperm made it to the egg when I was younger.

All it should mean is that it might be harder for you to relate to people when they are talking about their kids and we all know people who do that endlessly. Just like if I was talking to someone who was adopted and I'm not - it's harder for me to understand what that is like. Of course it doesn't mean you and your wife are bad people or selfish - it just didn't happen for whatever reasons. People love to label and categorize each other, it's how we make sense of the world. Unfortunately it can lead to not so nice judgements and behavior.

No just unfortunate - if you really wanted them. -When I was little my aunt and uncle couldn't have children, so they sort of kidnapped any child (with parental consent) and popped them in the sidecar of my uncles motorbike and took them to the seaside) they were both crazy about children and I can see its different, in a way having your own - I enjoyed my two immensely.

Trust me I'm a still considered a kid myself and even I will say we are a pain in the ass

No,not bad,but a happy person

Bad? Being childless has nothing whatever to do with being bad. I believe we all have to live our lives our way, not someone else's. As long as you harm no one you're not bad. Your life, your decisions. Enjoy it.

I guess I am not even sure why you would worry about how others perceive you, especially not over things outside of your control. I think you will find that some people still believe EVERYONE needs to reproduce in order to be "complete" but I have known good people without children and bad people with them so what does it even have to do with anything other than other people's opinions? My daughter chooses not to have children and there are some advantages to not having them especially where traveling is concerned. Really, it boils down to your perception. Does having children mean you are suddenly more valuable? Does it change your character? There are no set rules for humans on this topic, just social expectations and they need to be shattered anyway.

Burn him he's a witch!!! Burn him burn him lol nah nowt wrong with you at all as long as you are not one of them people that complains about children playing in the street them who cares if you have not had kids

I mean if so, I plan to be bad for quite some time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70470
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.