Agnostic.com

14 4

What the heck kinda fish?

I live in the country and I saw these big fish in a irrigation ditch. I think they are carp but not sure. How do they get there?

LibrasDreams 5 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anybody hungry?

godef Level 7 May 1, 2018

He's so cute!

The fly in at night so that no one will notice.

It is a carp. humans will have put them there.

Looks like one of them carpe diem fish.

I think it's a Sucker.

Although carp and suckers are freshwater fish species that have some similarities, they belong to separate families of fishes. The common carp, a fish not native to North America but found across the continent after its introduction from overseas, is from the Cypranidae family. Suckers are part of the Catostomidae family. Telling these types of fish apart requires knowing their main differences.

The carp has a "robust" body, according to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission website, with an arching back In contrast, suckers are smaller and have a more elongated, tubular shape than carp.

Look at the barbels on the sides of a common carp's mouth. Common carp have these fleshy protrusions of soft tissue on each side, which help them detect food in the water. Suckers lack barbels.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 30, 2018

Looks like Asian Carp, like you get for a freshwater aquarium. They grow to habitat and eat almost anything.

As far as I know, carp are the fish most likely to survive for long in such an environment. They can get there during flooding, dropped by predator birds, or discarded pets.

Maybe they're Mermaids????

Yup, I believe that's a carp. They are prime targets for bow fishing around here. To many tiny bones for me to eat, other people love them and will take them off your hands if you catch one.
Irrigation or drainage ditches are usually connected to a water source so the fish may have swam in from a river or it was released there.

I'm sure it is carp. I tried eating one, and it was delicious, but I couldn't deal with the bones and finally gave it to the cats. They were cool with it.

It has been suggested that waterfowl come in contact with the fish eggs and transport them to other bodies of water........

jasen Level 8 Apr 30, 2018

I have also heard this.

@HoracioM what?

@HoracioM oh yeah. I guess it's been too long since I've watched that.

In colorado we call them suckers. i don't know what they are though. They are edable but said not to taste good. They can be found in most of the waterways of colorado. They are bottom feeders and their mouths are oriented down.

Suckers are a different, native fish.

@GeorgeRocheleau My ignorance is now less *Bows** Thank You.

Damn... i don't know.. . Carp sounds right.

Maybe put there to keep the bottom clean

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.