Agnostic.com

5 2

Federal Food Tax to Pay for Healthcare

What if everyone could see a doctor, get treatment at a hospital and ride in an ambulance without getting a huge medical bill? How would we pay for it? Simple. A federal tax on food. I like the idea of paying a higher tax on products from a certain soft drink/snack food/fast food giant and a lower tax for vegetables. In any case, everyone would pay because everyone eats. What we eat has a tremendous impact on our health. The two are intrinsically linked.

There are those who cannot afford to pay for their food. Let’s not ignore them. Charity is a good thing. But for those who receive food from local food banks, let’s stop the drive throughs where the recipient sits in their car and a volunteer loads their trunk. Why not have a 15 minute low impact workout and a 30 minute nutrition class as a prerequisite before the food recipient can leave with any food?

If we can fund our military, schools, police and fire departments with taxes. Why can’t we fund healthcare? If we pay a federal tax on each gallon of gasoline for infrastructure then why couldn’t we pay a tax on food to fund healthcare? What say you? Do you have any better ideas? I’d like to hear about some healthcare solutions that don’t involve insurance companies.

TXLerins 5 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We do fund healthcare. If you have not heard Social Security expands into where the needy can get healthcare for themselves and children who need it. This is an insurance program but Republicans keep using the word "entitlement" in a bad way and want to dismantle it or tear it down. They also want to determine who can benefit by having nutrition classes and exercise before giving anything to the needy. This only proves who is in control and has nothing to do with the needy. I'm really glad that you are a health expert but I can shorten this a bit.

Here I am in 1978 and at that time I could press 110 lbs. overhead with one hand. Either hand. I worked out and had good nutrition. Times, people, and other things change. Today I have neuropathy, walk in special shoes, and have balance problems. I continue to work at 76 years old. Maybe some of your ideas would have helped me to be as healthy as you instead.

I might add that I am a Progressive. I believe our nation should provide work, healthcare, food, and housing with no regard to race or origin. Other countries do this and we can too if we ever stop our political nonsense.

OOOOORR we could build 10 less Stealth-type bombers and one or 2 less aircraft carriers...especially the bombers as there are several dozens rotting on airfields for over a decade now that have never, ever, left the ground........

Your food tax is regressive. It will disproportionately hurt poor and working class people. Progressive taxation must be tied to income and possibly wealth.

Your exercise tax on food is offensive. People must be treated with dignity regardless of their personal circumstances. Many food bank users would not be physically capable of performing for you like you would like them them to.

The rest of the civilized world saves money by funding universal health care. This can be done through progressive taxation. Historically, Americans in the highest tax bracket paid as much as 94% income tax but Trump has them down to 40%. 4% of that already funds Medicaid. There are more than 22 million millionaires and almost 100 billionaires in the US while 38 million Americans live below the poverty line.

[scientificamerican.com]

[bradfordtaxinstitute.com]

Yes, it is a regressive tax. Agreed. As for dignity and offense related to “exercise tax” on food, exercise and nutrition are inextricably tied to human health. I did not suggest a bmi requirement or that physical limitations not be taken into consideration. The fact is exercise is beneficial to everyone regardless of their physical condition. Providing exercise options to a wheel chair user or anyone with limited mobility is not undignified neither is providing nutrition education. I’m talking about exercise and nutrition as it relates to healthcare.

Is there any way we can reach the point where we are legitimately concerned with the health and well-being of everyone regardless of income? I’m open to suggestion and willing to consider options..

@TXLerins There's no necessary relationship between lack of exercise and relying on food from the food bank, which makes your exercise tax irrelevant. Your exercise tax reminds me of how religious organizations tie recruitment to providing assistance.

But more importantly, no, there is no way we can reach the point where we are legitimately concerned with the health and well-being of everyone regardless of income because not all of us are. The left supports the inclusion of everyone in full participation in all aspects of society regardless of income. The right supports excluding as many people as possible from societal participation based on income and any other way they differ from the mainstream, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.

For example, I support universal healthcare in the form of Medicare for All but my uncle doesn't want anyone who hasn't paid into Medicare all their lives like he has to have access to Medicare or healthcare at all if they can't pay for it. The fundamental issue is inclusion versus exclusion and the right is so opposed to diversity that they oppose the meeting of basic human needs on that basis. I believe we are as divided now as we were at the start of the Civil War and until we solve that, we are not going to move forward. The failure to manage the gun issue alone makes us the laughing stock of the world.

Why not do like first world countries and pay for health care out of general revenue as it's an issue that affects everyone.

I would not be opposed, but I also think corporate taxes need to go back up to where they were back in the 1950s/1960s…just over 50%. Republican administrations have systematically increased the tax burden on the middle and lower classes and decreased corporate taxes…and that is just wrong. Adjusted for the cost of living, income for most individuals is not even equal to what it was back then.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:708179
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.