Agnostic.com

96 7

How long...?

How long have you gone being celibate?

LouRaven 5 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

96 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The longest I was celibate was actually while I was married. In the last years before the divorce, we might have sex once or twice a year (if that).

Interesting comment ... I remember a prisoner once saying that there was not enough sex in prison ... Then he said to me: "What about you? Oh ... You are married ... It's perhaps worse than in here."

That is absolutely the worst form of celibacy.

@germangirl90439 You got me hands down on that one 🙂

Ya, no. I'll pass on that celibacy thing.

Emme Level 7 May 2, 2018

The act, or the admission?

@ghettophilosopher
Here ya go:
16 years ago, I chose celibacy for 1 year. Happy?

@Emme If I in some way made you feel pressured to answered the question, it wasn’t my intent and I apologize. It was just a ham fisted attempt at light humor. Again, I’m sorry.

@ghettophilosopher
I'm so NOT at all offened?

Alright!

Far too long. Haven't got a number, as I lost track somewhere along the line. My sex drive dried up and died from neglect a little while ago, which I suppose is for the best.

@JesseThompson it's good for a person's health, true. But if I haven't got anyone to enjoy it with, it's best to not have a sex drive nagging at me all the time and making me frustrated, angry, and depressed.

Though I probably should fire up the ol vibrator more often.

Why would anyone be celibate?

You make a good point. Isaac Newton was as well - both highly productive and a bit crazy later in life also. I'm not sure the tradeoff would be worth it for me, however.

@ejbman there is strong evidence that both of those men were gay, not celibate.

@rohano Really? Interesting. I had not heard. It was my understanding that Newton proudly proclaimed he was a virgin on his deathbed. He was also very religious. He may have been Gay AND celibate, of course.

@ejbman if you were alive in a time when your preference got you executed in your country, you'd claim virginity, too. There's tons of dialogue about this and it has become the accepted interpretation of his biography

6 months. Right now I'm at a month and hate it but at the same time, not ready to be with anybody.

Kanda Level 5 May 3, 2018

Thank you for sharing
It is an interesting and educational process
I think

I understand, I’m at 3 years.

@Amcnew that was a month ago when I posted. I'm at almost two weeks now but seeing that guy again this weekend. ?

70 years. Voluntarily.

skado Level 9 May 2, 2018

@Akfishlady Yep.

@skado Isaac Newton lived a life without sex. He called it his greatest accomplishment.

27 years

@Shelton hubby told me (and the marriage counselor) he disliked sex due to stuff from his childhood. I loved him and had very bad experiences of my own in first marriage. So, it was quite okay. EXCEPT for the fact he wanted to use it as an excuse to cheat!

About three years. In talking with other guys though it appears my sex drive is lower than average.

Better than having a high sex drive and not being able to make it happen.

@Honestape I have never had any problems with performance. I just go through periods of not beign really all that interested.

Around fifteen years. Arriving at the start was complicated - caused by wife running up credit card debt leaving us over £32,000 in debt (but only discovered this once finished employment that brought in £3,500 a month - income on retirement dropped to less than £12,000 a YEAR!) The debt had 'accumulated' over a period of some ten years but she never once expressed any concern - and in case anyone gets any wrong ideas, her silence was NOT because she was scared of me for I am not physically violent (unless as a matter of self-defence) and have never struck a woman in all of my 77 years and, to cover all bases (as my American friends might say) I have never applied 'psychological cruelty' either; it's not who I am. My affection for my wife was put on a back burner that slowly went out and any passion cooled until frozen. It was not the debt; money can always (eventually) be repaid, it was all those years of deceit and only revealing the problem when my income was greatly reduced. My most immediate concern was if one of our cats required medical attention resulting in a large vet bill and this nightmare occurred some eighteen months later: at that moment I actually hated her (the hate did not last long - just a sudden 'flash' because she had placed me in this terrible position, and it had cooled by the following day as I concentrated on fixing the situation. Circumstances and some hectic negotiations meant we were able to save our little cat) Of course, there is much more that I could write. We are still together but the relationship is more akin to that of brother and sister. It was tough going over twelve years but, three years ago, we finally became 'debt free' (HA! Bet you didn't expect that lot, did you?)

@beansontoast So funny it is you are.

So did you have sex to celebrate? (Is this what this post is about? I've forgotten?)

I went 11 years, from 06 to 2017 before breaking the dry spell of the century. Which was a rather unsatisfying random tinder hookup. Still waiting on anything repeatable. Surprised there are a couple people who have me beat, but considering that decade dry spell was my entire 20’s, it particularly sucks.

@TampaHeathen I don’t take it personally. I appreciate it as I’m sure it’s either a supportive gesture, or a suggested place for me to sit and spin in the meantime ?

5 days.

That's the spirit!

@OldDave I plan on breaking that streak this weekend.

It's probably getting on for about 4 years, luckily depression means I don't give a shit ??

So which came first?

I suppose it's part of why she's a bitch but I think it's everything else that got me depressed

Single over 20 years.

3 sexual episodes with the same guy about 5 years ago. This put me off sex I think.

It was all about his wants and purely mechanical.

Never understood this. The best part of sex is helping your partner get there.

What is the equivalent of "Blue Balls" in men for women? Just curious

@Heart_Truth I believe the brits say randy

The sad stories here is difficult to take ... We need to lighten the mood a little since of all days today is hump day.
Put those digits to work people!

@McVinegar (pointing my nose with index finger then point you)

11 months, there about. I'm practicing celibacy and believe it'll be for life. Turns out, there's a thing called asexual. Found the discription to be super helpful knowing what the hell my feelings towards sex actually was. Not a fan. Also, now I have so much room for activities not related to finding a mate. I learned idgaf what's "more attractive" while experimenting with my look. Also, my interests arn't tailored or censored to impress anyone. Like fuck you if a grown woman can't like makeup and videogames. Something else I found out is the quality of conversion and debate go way up when a dudes not trying to fuck you. Seriously, being challenged as a peer makes interactions actually something to look forward too.

Thank you for sharing
Yep! Asexual is a thing
Not for me however
But I find celibacy is helpful to become more mindful and disective

Senior citizen here who enjoys multiplayer FPS. Battlefield franchise highly addictive.

Six years. When my daughter was an adolescent and teenager, I stopped dating. I didn't want a series of men in and out of her life.

When she began dating at age 16, I began dating again.

Yeah know that one, it was easier when raising kids not to confuse things or complicate our lives, so just focused on child raising for a few years.

Been a bit over 3 years now

Not by choice.

about 3 1/2 years. Just remember that sex is a lot like oxygen.......It's not that important till you can't get any.

you get too much and it gets you high, not enough and you're gunna die. Oh wait, that's love, well I think they got it wrong. Yeah, it's sex.

About 4 weeks now. ????☹

Longer than I wanted.

Isn't that always the case?

It'll be 8 years in July, moving to Oklahoma pretty much killed my sex life lol.

I can see how Oklahoma could do that to you

Almost 12 years. My son was almost three when my wife killed herself. I decided to focus on raising him and avoid relationships with women. He's 14 now, if any of you lovely women feel sorry for me, give a shout. I would have no problem with a mercy fuck. ?

Two weeks.

I lost my wife last year. She was unable to have intercourse after menopause so I had not had sex in over 10 years.

Then I met a woman who was recently divorced and had been celibate for 10 years.

Things got real and we were both able to confirm that everything still works 🙂.

good for you!

Nov. 21, 2017.

Yes, I'm married.

Why are people liking this? Sad, crying faces, please!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71398
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.