Agnostic.com

41 1

Should we demand/expect for respect?

In the things, we say and do. If you do not demand respect then you are trying to earn it. If you do demand then you are not trying to earn it, you take it as an entitlement.
For me, I do not demand or expect anyone to respect me, I do not disrespect anyone, but before I can respect anyone I need to know what they are doing or saying, If not then I am just doing things blindly that is very stupid of me.

• 1 vote
  • 3 votes
TuyTran888 6 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both. To be treated with a basic amount of respect should be a given, e.g. to be given the benefit of the doubt at a first meeting. To retain that basic respect and receive more respect should be earned, e.g. to be listened to as an expert.

So we going to respect people blindly first, before we try to find out what they really are or what they really doing? What does blindly doing things would make us?

@TuyTran888 It makes us polite and, perhaps, less prejudiced. Basic respect need only involve common courtesies such as saying hello or holding doors and not snubbing people we don't yet know well enough to judge.

@pixiedust How could it be polite when you disrespect yourself by blindly respecting? You can be polite without respect, just do not look down and ignoring people and pay attention more and do not lie.

@TuyTran888 I suspect we have slightly different definitions of and expectations for respect.

@pixiedust Yes, we do or else we would discuss about it, that is obvious.

The way my childhood was, I don't have any respect for authorities unless I see how they act or react.

well, with authority, we do it out of fear more than respect.

@TuyTran888 You should see my arrest record for protesting against authorities , I have no fear of them at all.

@buzz13 Well, I have to look at each of those arrests carefully, to see which one is not being stupid, lolz.

@buzz13 Not fearful of authority is one thing, but not careful is another reason why we are being stupid.

None of this makes sense to me at all!

@jacpod It is the respect for the office (not the person) that he demands

@273kelvin Thank you.

@273kelvin He already shows her that he earned the respect. And also with what you said too.

Your rights demand respect, your character has to earn it.

Does demand respect is a good way of life or not?

@TuyTran888 Can you try that again?

@Malara Do you know what we do is a piece of our way of life correct? So I am asking if we demand respect, is that a good way of life?

@Malara let me try this way. We have the right to say anything we want, correct? But should we say stupid things? What would that do to our character?

@TuyTran888 Your rights demand respect because you're born with them. That's not going to change. Everyone is born with the same rights. Your character develops based on your upbringing, experiences, choices, education. Your character earns respect based on how they are utilized.

@Malara We do not born with the right of demand for respect. The rights to demand for respect are from idiots that do not know how to earn their respect. They people given them freely. They do not want to have responsibility for their own action.

@TuyTran888 So we're not born with rights that are to be respected?

@Malara Such right is created by human. We do not born with it. It like religion, Do we born with it?

I don't think about it.

Then what is the use for your brain?

@TuyTran888 l simply don't care about what other people think about me, and haven't for decades. I have no control over other people and whether they respect me or not. I use my brain for all kinds of things, that just ain't one of them. ?

@Sticks48 So all the things your brain can do, but not this one is that what you saying?

I can't vote because your poll doesn't make sense. But, I will answer the questions.

Should we demand/expect respect? No
Should we need to earn it? Yes

The second part is not a question. it just a statement to an option if you do not demand/expect it.

Your choices don't match your questions, so I can't vote.

So what is your choice or answer?

@TuyTran888 Your choices, "yes" or "no" do not fit your poll questions, as Many are pointing out! Why are you being a dick about it?

@AnneWimsey asking questions is being a dick? that is only those that like the preacher from religious bullshit.

@AnneWimsey You do not want to learn, I do, I study and research human.

I think that in order to respect others we must start by respecting our self, our primary good, since few things seem worth doing if a person has little sense of his or her own worth or no confidence in his or her abilities to execute a worthwhile life plan (John Rawls)

cava Level 7 May 2, 2018

One of the steps that are necessary is to respect ourselves. But how? Can we respect ourselves while we keep doing stupid things? If we do anything that is stupid we are disrespecting ourselves, correct?

@TuyTran888 Well if we didn't black slide, if we weren't weak, if we didn't do stupid things, then we would not be human. We have a conscience, we know when we have transgressed our own principles. If self respect is intrinsically good, then it is an end we must continually strive for regardless of our failures to act in concert with our self on all occasions.

@cava We human do a lot of things. But should we keep doing it or try to be less?

@TuyTran888

Less sound like the Stoics way out. Fuck the middle way, live like life means something, don't do less do more!

But it is not a more or less issue, I think self respect is about finding out who we are:

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

It is about staying in tune.

@cava I was not very clear on earlier comment. There are a lot of things that we do, there are some of it is good benefit to humankind, and there are some that is very bad for humankind, should we be keep doing the bad things?

@TuyTran888 You seem to want put this all in terms of good and bad, both are nebulous terms of valuation. I have outlined that I think self respect is intrinsically good for the individual, which thereby implies that not respecting our self in our actions is bad

If you want to extend this to the "we"that comprises humanity then you are talking about normative values such as equal and just lawful rights, actions that produce the best results for the whole without forgetting those that need help.

"should we keep doing the bad things?" No we should not, but on a normative basis, for society as a whole, this is easier said than done. Wars, the manipulation of populations, and corruption are historically endemic in societies for all of recorded history.

@cava whether we respecting the self or other. Is it a good thing to respect anything that is stupid, it means any mistake that is repeating itself.

@TuyTran888

I think you are equivocating here, using the word 'respect' in two different senses. By all mean respect a man with a gun trying to rob you....but what do you respect the power he wields or the man?

@cava The man with a gun robbing me, That is not respect, that is fear. you are misunderstanding what respect means.

@TuyTran888 Admittedly there is a thin line between fear and respect but still many people respect the law because they fear the consequences of transgressing it (we pay our taxes). We respect power because we fear being harmed by it. Respect in this sense is not the same as the respect we give to ourselves and others.

@cava What I am trying to do or say is that we need to use our critical think and find out more about what we are really doing, so that our decision isn't so blindly, blindly decision is being stupid, that would harmful to ourself and others. The more we use our critical thinking brain our decision becomes more informative, that would help mankind better. What we really need is Critical thinking of the mind, The respect would follow. The lack of critical thinking, the more disrespect would show and actually the show of how we disrespect ourself.

@TuyTran888 Fine, I think that makes sense but I think that critical thinking is hierarchical, the vertical axis and I think respect is along relational or horizontal axis. Two different ways or axes.

@cava critical thinking and like everything in life about knowledge has a lot of level so that we can improve and get better, so life wouldn't so boring, so to tell to those that they know it all is being stupid.

You can demand respect, but, in most cases, that is someone more powerful than you are, and if you don't aquiesce to his demand for respect, you will be punished for it. You might loose your job, be beat up by his gang, be abused by your partner, or parents. You don't have respect, you have fear. On the other hand, if you are perhaps an oppressed minority, you can stand up for yourself, and say, we are humans, just like you, and deserve the same rights you have. That seems to me like a combination of demanding and earning respect. In the end, respect must be earned to be true respect.

Yes, you can demand respect but wouldn't that a childish thing to do?

@TuyTran888 demanding respect is childish, but also oppressive. It is usually someone who is weak and insecure, so want to appear to be a tough guy by using threats and intimidation. Trump comes to mind. When he calls all the Republican senators and representatives to the white house for their periodic fawnathon, he is demanding or otherwise he threatens to withdraw support for their elections.

@Wisewoman3 There are a lot of methods that people use to demand respect. They have a belief system where I do not and they said I respect your belief so you have to respect mine. Or if I do not respect in their saying because it is just too ignorant or stupid. They would think I am disrespecting them. I do not need to disrespect them because they do it so well with their own stupidity.

Respect should be freely given. Even “degenerates” deserve the basic respect as humans. Without respect, people seem more likly to ignore or abuse others.

Would you respect to something that is stupid such as racist, murderer, con-artist..? If you respect something that is stupid, wouldn't that a stupid thing to do?

@TuyTran888 I belive they exist because they don't respect their “victims.” Mutual respect demands mutual treatment. So when someone murders another and disrespects that persons life, then I will no longer respect them.

@RandyMoose just murder? What about racist? what about homophobia? What about con-artist? What about people that lie to your face?

It's not a yes or no question so I can't answer the poll, but I've always thought respect should be lost not won, respect everybody at first meeting and let them keep it by behaving properly.

Respect Is earned.Being polite is being civil.

Coldo Level 8 May 2, 2018

You didn’t ask a yes or no question. So that’s a bit confusing. But I voted no because I’m answering the first part of your question.

A person should never demand respect.

There is only one question. The other is just an option if we do not demand or expect respect.

This brings to mind Rodney Dangerfield, "No respect." I'm comfortable in my skin, so it really doesn't matter to me. Some respect me, some don't, you can't please everyone.

Respect is usually earned. I don't expect respect from people who don't yet know me. however until they do get to know me, I do want general courtesy and politeness.

I do not demand or expect anyone to respect me, I do not disrespect anyone, but before I can respect anyone I need to know what they are doing or saying, If not then I am just doing things blindly that is very stupid of me.

I'm not on the "respect the person not the belief" wagon.
Profess idiocy, you're an idiot.
Respect doesn't mean tolerate, and if you're furthering detrimental ideology you're worthy of neither.

How about I put the question in this way. Would you respect something that is stupid?

No, regardless how many might think it isnt.
Show me how it's not and that can change.

@Slappy_Longarms you would respect everyone, no matter what?

@TuyTran888
no. The opposite.

People who demand respect need to earn it. People who earn respect don't need to demand it
?

Well said

This question isn't written for a yes / no answer .. The answers are;

1. We demand respect.
  2. We earn respect.

The problem is respect is given so you can only try to earn. You can try to earn respect for the rest of your life in some ways and it will never happen (sometimes rightly, sometimes not), so it should be given.. . The answer that is not present 😉

You cannot demand respect and neither can you always earn it as it is given.

Ill let you know when I became Emperor of the known Universe !!

Everyone should be respected from the start. But respect can be lost. The only way respect should be earned is when it lost.

I think we have lost the true definition of "respect" though. A feeling of deep admiration based on achievements or abilities. On a basic level, all people should be treated kindly until they have lost that priviledge.

to think with privilege is to given out freely. That is to supply to their demand or entitlement.
I do not demand or expect anyone to respect me, I do not disrespect anyone, but before I can respect anyone I need to know what they are doing or saying, If not then I am just doing things blindly that is very stupid of me.

You earn respect then you can command respect. A demand inspires fear. We show respect to law enforcement because we fear them.

Betty Level 8 May 2, 2018

I don't fear law enforcement as much as I dislike the jackbooted stormtroopers, the gangbangers in blue

I try to be respectful of all people regardless of if they are respectful. That's on them. I find that people who demand respect are demanding in general and I avoid them when possible.

MsAl Level 8 May 2, 2018

People either respect me or they don't. Demanding respect is self-defeating.

Some people do not deserve respect based on their actions. Case in point our Buffoon in Office; I have no respect for his behaviors because he exhibits no common decency. I try to respect others until their behavior gives me a reason to disrespect that behavior. And for me, I would rather think that I have no respect for a particular behavior rather than an entire person. Yeah I know, it's just semantics

Hate the sin, love the sinner kinda thing

@zorialoki yeah wouldn't call it love though. Maybe it is more of ignoring them

@TuyTran888 I would never advocate doing things blindly. I like to have all the information then I can choose whether it is my battle or not. No one can argue pretzel logic

@AmelieMatisse When we given people respect without the try to know who, how, or what they actually are, We are doing thing blindly and also advocate it as well. That is what happens when we say one thing and we do it another. and we do not even aware of it.

@AmelieMatisse Depends on what type of pretzel it is based on

Actions are meaningless unless they lead to some positive results. For me respect and trust go hand-in-haand.

Respect cannot be achieved through demanding it. Ever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71415
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.