Agnostic.com

21 9

LINK CEO Mark Zuckerberg Says Facebook Will Rank News Outlets By Trustworthiness | HuffPost

"Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a meeting Tuesday with media executives that the company has begun implementing a system of ranking news organizations by trust, relying on user surveys to determine which news sources are “broadly trusted.”"

Broadly trusted by whom?

The idea that they are going to use a survey to find out what new outlets are "trusted", instead of investing to find out which news outlets are using "the truth" and "facts" most often, shows just how subjective and biased this new system is going to be.

Here's a clue 60+ million people "trusted" Trump and he's a consummate liar. So how is that a valid metric?

redbai 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the establishment telling us which news sources we can and can't read.

The ruling class owned media have been in control for decades, telling us to agree to their wars, telling us who to vote for, covering up things they want hidden, exposing things they don't.

For the first time social media has bypassed this firewall and the people are reporting news for the people and the ruling class hate it.

That's about it.

They will help us choose what lies we believe now lol ?

Facebook is a great way for keeping in touch / finding old friends. Not news. Ridiculous idea rating news sources. Almost insidiously.

So Facebook is so patronising it does not trust people to call thier own judgement on news!! How very insulting lmao.

I certainly cannot be trusted to make rational decisions about reading the already biased mainstream news lol ?.

All my life I have struggled choosing which source to trust (not, most are liars on some level lol), but now Mark Zuckerberg is here to hold my hand.

Facebook is our new self appointed reality tunnel lol .. nuts.

He, of course, being so trustworthy himself. You gotta love these 21st century Techno Robber Barrons. Tell you anything and think people are stupid enough to believe it.

FB algorithms just feed you what you already like, it’s not a news source! It’s very limited in that it chooses what you see for you, unless you are very specific and seek out new a different things. However it has helped me find groups like this one. It’s just a single tool in your toolbox. Neither better or worse than anything else out there. But I do have co-workers that only get information from FB, and that scares me.

Shar Level 3 May 2, 2018

Heh yah... There's plenty of folks that Trust Alex Jones so I can't say it's a good way of spotlighting credibility. It really should go off of fact checking with a rating system similar to how Media Matters and or Snopes does it. Indeed it's a crazy world when conspiracy theorists are seen as truthful and much outside of that is some "deep state' conspiracy stuff. Quite the juxtaposition and a dangerous one at that.

Alex Jones vocal chords are a sonic weapon lmfao

@Nickbeee That turn the frogs gay when they visit FEMA camps that have been near HARRP activity during a tornado. ?

@Altruisticwar Hahahaha!!!!!! That's the one lmfao!!!

I don't trust FB, so I don't really give a fuck what they say. I do not use the site anymore.

This feels so much like the dystopia Orwell wrote about in 1984. Big media giants are delivering us truth as they want us to see it.

We should never allow so few people so much control of ‘news’ and truth.

Twitter actively culls conservative voices AND Bernie progressives to strengthen the establishment Democrat POV. It sounds hyperbolic, but I’m concerned that these censures will evolve into something punitive...

Our elections are borderline farcical.

Couldn't agree more....fake news, Cambridge Analytica and marketing masquerading as editorial....kinda scary.

People have all sorts of opinions about this issue. This option is not perfect, but doing nothing and letting the reader decide the trustworthiness of the information may get Fb in big trouble. Blocking some news or news outlets will raise howls of indignation from the people interested in sharing it and also from
some politicians. It would appear that this is the lesser of all evils. I can already envision some outlets boasting that their low trustworthiness ranking on Fb is in fact a sign of trustworthiness. And the drama continues to unfold.

Its not, its pandering to the ignorant.

bullshit

Surveys are instrumental in all types of manipulation and not a good source of information.

Trod Level 5 May 2, 2018

i wanna super glue zuckerbugger to stevie wonders dart board

Pity they didn't apply the same rules to their own contributors on Facebook.

RonB Level 5 May 2, 2018

If some of the surveys show people trust Faux News (Fox) are they trusted? And by who? Trump supporters. The think truth and facts should take precedent.

Pot: "Kettle, this is Pot. Message. Over."
Kettle: "Kettle to Pot. Send. Over."
Pot: "Kettle, be advised that you are black. Out."

I mean would you trust this guy lol ? [businessinsider.com]

Maybe they will use Cambridge Analytica to do up the questionnaires.
🙂

cava Level 7 May 2, 2018

Yeah... that's not gonna work! Flynn's son trusted the source when he posted the "news" that the Dems had a sex-slave ring in the non-existent basement of a DC pizza shop. News sources need to be rated by a (oh, my!) "trusted source". Hmmm...

For a couple of decades I've found that getting real information from the traditional news sources is a chore requiring multiple filters to clear out the biases, agendas and outright propaganda. The Alternative Media sources can be just as sketchy when it comes to getting cold hard facts.
That the Grand Poobah of Fuck Book would suggest that he has the moral authority to decide which of the official liars is more trustworthy is truly laughable. I hear he is coming out with a dating app tied to FB, I guess he didn't feel he had enough personal data on the millions of users on his site that he can sell to third parties. This is the funniest thing I've heard all day but the day is young and the world is a very funny place. 😉

Trust yeah Trust

Rosh Level 7 May 2, 2018

Everyone has biases. News people are no different. Being able to separate fact from opinion creates both good news people and discerning readers. Facebook is an echo chamber where dissent is rarely seen in your feed. Look at both NPR and Fox, and maybe even British sources for our news-then the biases are present, front and center. Be able to disagree with your own side and argue persuasively for the other, then you may get some objectivity.

@DuchessNyx I agree 100%....Fox is not about reporting news objectively it has an extreme right wing bias on top of passing off infomercial as editorial comment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.