Agnostic.com

10 3

What's the best/worst present you've ever received?

I was pretty touched when I was given an adoption paper for a snowy owl and another for an Arctic fox.

On the other hand, I once received an evil eye bracelet. Thought it was creepy looking.

silvereyes 8 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a patient of mine planted a tree every year in my memory

Worst present was from my future brother-in-law. Didn’t see me as a person, so he gave me what you’d give any Jew, a bottle of Mogen David wine.
Best presents have always been hand made things from my son or daughter.

This is going to sound odd. The best gift I ever got was a pocket knife from my father. I was around six or seven when he gave it to me.

a gift that probably anchors shared experiences. the best

The best present I ever received was when my wife had a garage built for me . I have lived in this house since I as born and always wanted a full size garage. I never wanted to spend the money and just had a shed .(To build a garage in New York City is very expensive )My wife inherited a good amount of money and surprised me .One day a contractor came by for the estimate and this is when I found out .I continue to enjoy it 16 years later

Best (I know this sounds weird, especially if you are under 45.) My best gift was when my father gave me his old black and white portable TV with a coat hanger antenna.

Every gift the year following my Mom’s. death. She loved Christmas, so the whole holiday sucked.

Damn... this question hit me hard with a memory of my poor sister back when we were kids. My first BBgun. My sister got some stupid game. She really wanted a Barbie doll. I was mean and all that, but her tears broke my heart. I'll never forget that.. damn.

I've never received a 'worst' gift. At least nothing that is noteworthy as being just the most awful thing ever, but I have received a 'best ever' gift. It was a gift that I'm sure changed the course of my life. It was 1947 and my uncle Leroy had just returned from Europe a couple of months before my 7th birthday.

For that birthday I got what I had asked for, a Roy Rogers pair of nickel plated six guns with a Roy Rogers holster set and a whole case of caps. I thought that was the best thing ever ... until Leroy brought out a long, beautiful mahogany box that was larger than I was.

In that box was a Zeiss-Jena telescope that he had picked up during a shore leave in France. All gleaming brass and bronze. I couldn't speak for a long time and I remember sputtering some nonsense when I found my voice. Up to that moment, I had only read about things like that and never thought I would have one or even have the opportunity to look through one.

My birthday is in the middle of November. We lived on a small farm in the hills leading to the western face of the Cascade mountains. There was a couple of feet of snow. It was bone chilling cold. Leroy and I spent most of the night and part of the wee hours of the morning watching as Saturn and Mars rose arm in arm over the mountains. I've been hooked on science ever since.

That I do. Since that night in 1947 I've been an avid amateur astronomer. I no longer have a decent instrument, but I do have some good binoculars. I can't tolerate the cold as I once could.

A pair of gloves with a hole in them????

Was there a reason for the hole? lol

The hole was on the tip of the right pinky finger if I remember correctly

What exactly is an adoption paper of that sort? What does it mean exactly?

I don't like gifts, on principle. But if I have to choose, I'd say funny or creative gifts are okay, as long as they're nothing expensive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.