Agnostic.com

15 10

Yesterday, while helping my great-nephew (aged 9) with homework, I ran across a "10 Commandments" worksheet. I asked him if he was studying this in school, or in Scouts? He told me "Scouts" (which I have my own opinions about, but keep to myself). Then, he made a really disturbing, disparaging remark about people who don't follow the 10 Commandments. I saw this as an opportunity to explain a few things, without imposing my own views, which run counter to what his parents are teaching him. I told him not everyone believes in the 10 Commandments, just like not everyone believes in the same god he does. Used examples of a child in India believing in Hindu gods, and child in Japan believing in Shintoism. I further explained to him that there are also people who don't believe in any gods at all, and they, as well as everyone else, deserve respect. Not believing the same things as he does, doesn't make anyone else "bad" or "wrong", just different. I didn't tell him I'm an atheist and I didn't say anything negative about christianity. I'm waiting until he's older, and asks me directly. I don't like lying to anyone, especially children. However, keeping the peace is also a serious consideration. I've yet to hear any backlash from this exchange, but that doesn't mean there won't be any. Anyone else dealing with this kind of issue? How do you walk that fine line?

KKGator 9 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In Scouts they have a badge for “God and me” so indoctrination is key to the scouting life. My boy has been a Cub Scout for the last four years and he loves camping, etc., but it is often hard for me to be at Scout events because of all the praying, etc. Some scout troops are very religious, like my son’s, i just wish he was in one of the less religious troups. Dib, dib!

I've gone to a couple of the Scout meetings, and I really am uncomfortable attending. I think it's been noticed, as I haven't been asked to attend in the last six months. LOL
I also don't recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I'll stand, but remain silent. Pretty sure that was noticed, too. LOL
Definitely one of the disadvantages of living in a small, Southern town. I don't really care what anyone thinks of me, but I don't my family being penalized by small minds who take exception to my lack of belief in their delusions.

I too struggle with scouts. My son is 10. ( Claims to be a believer in GOD also ). Webelos finishing up, Boy Scouts next year.

We are as tight as a drum, but I don't deny him his beliefs....which have come from elsewhere. It's difficult, But I will lead by example and be patient. He will know that he does not have to live in one of society's boxes. Anyway, I'm new here and yes, scouts is a conflict

@KKGator There are actually 640 some commandments though it is difficult to carry around so many of those tablets of stone. Very controlling that Moses.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss George Carlin.

i only ever knew about him after he died but his beliefs are mine

I just can't believe the Boy Scouts is teaching religion? I know they are going to welcome girls in 2018 but teach religion?

It's nothing new for the BSoA. They've been indoctrinating kids into christianity for as long as they've been an organization.

Didn't you tell him the 10 Commandments ARE NOT a Catholic "thing"?

Didn't even mention catholicism. That's how I was raised, not how he's being raised.

My friends and family know I’m Agnostic. If their children start to ask me questions it will be no surprise to their parents that I answer those questions from my point of view.

Again, to me being Agnostic means “I don’t know”. Where I have a problem is with people who say they know!

I've been giving your reply some thought. While I understand your position, and saying "I don't know" is perfectly reasonable, I don't understand why you would have a problem with anyone who says they do know. I don't believe in any gods because I have never seen any credible or verifiable evidence to prove their existence in reality. To me, there's no "there" there. If I am ever presented with credible, verifiable evidence that I have been wrong about my position, I'll consider changing it. Until then, I know there are no gods.

You get a big thumbs up from webbew1. Good job!

Rock on sister! Sounds like you handled that like a champ! Well done!

Aced it. No judgment, just facts. Spot on.

Great job!

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback and encouragement.

I think you handled it very well. I had similar conversations with my nephews and nieces and told them the exact things that you did. When two of them were 15 and 17 they asked me if I believed in god. I believed they were old enough and told them no and explained why. They had some of the same questions about the bible that did not make sense to me when I was a child. I was honest with them and i told them to keep an open mind and to always strive to learn about different cultures and beliefs and they will come to their own decisions on religions as they get older.

I have never been there but I think you where right to open his eyes to the wider world. You where brave to do so. It's not about right or wrong. It's about view points and ideas. The world is full of ideas and views. The more we understand each other the better we can respect and get along even if we done agree with there view or idea. It's life.

I think you did pretty good with that...

I don't live in the same part of the country as niece / nephews so this has never been an issue.

Good job with the nephew. .. a nephew of mine at age 5 before kindergarten walks up to me at my dad's house his babysitting granpa and declares to me : "you're a bad man like the devil" ....I get this childish vile from adults running Dial An Atheist in Des Moines 1985 so unsurprised and kindly replied: " bad gods and good gods are like pretend television shows " pointing at my dad's tv. ...the poor brainwashed child of my Evangelical Vocalist sister blankly looked out the window then trotted outside to play

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7189
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.