Agnostic.com

9 3

How do you personally define the word "spiritual?" To me, it does not mean a lack of dogma but still holding on to belief in one or more imaginary deities, but more of a sense of seeing one's self as a small part of a greater whole, and having an undefined connectedness to that whole, a sense of respect or humility in the face of that which is greater than one's self, be it the Universe, the Grand Canyon or human society. Most people I know who describe themselves as "spiritual" are agnostics who express some variation on the above thoughts. I am seldom put off by people who describe themselves as "spiritual," as they do not proselytize and usually hold entirely non-theist beliefs such as the above-mentioned reverence for nature or the cosmos. Thoughts?

Mambocat 4 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spiritual really seems to mean a bunch of things. The most common thing I hear is spiritual not religious. Not sure what that means.

The understanding of the word spiritual that is most non-elusive, and in keeping with casual (not technical) language everywhere (except in a religious context) is simply “possessing feelings, thoughts, and intentions”. In other words, everybody. I don’t think fundamentalists deserve to own it. It’s part of the common language. To me, the statement “I’m spiritual but not religious” is essentially “I’m emotional but not disciplined”. We are emotional animals. It has nothing to with ghosts but that would be an understandable metaphor for fleeting feelings.

skado Level 9 Dec 9, 2017

Spiritual means just the 99 percent unknowns. To an atheist there is likely just unknowns.

Imagination is the closest thing to being God-like for exploring the earth and Universe. For everything you have imagined in your lifetime was all once imagined first. It is the same for the history of mankind.

Who ever imagined hell, had a badass extremely corrupted Imagination.

It is a good question but I don't think it really means anything. I agree that it is more of a feeling than anything else. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 8, 2017

"Whenever I'm out with a woman and she says, 'I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual,' I respond, 'Well, I'm not honest, but you're really interesting.'"
—Daniel Tosh

🙂

BellyLaugh!!

The word comes from spirit, which is to me at least, a religious term to explain our consciousness. It has too many religious and New Age connotations for my taste. I stand in awe of grandeur as in natural things. I can't say that I'm put off when people use the word but I don't.

gearl Level 8 Dec 8, 2017

I don't define the word "spiritual". I do not use the word at all.. I use other descriptors.

I must admit I am not a fan of the term. Most of the time I have heard it, it is coming out of very pretentious people. Though, that doesn't make it any less valid. I always get the feel that it is someones way of saying, I'm religious but I'm not religious, cuz I am too aware to be religious. Namaste. Always seems like a lot of marijuana is involved ,too, to enhance this 'spiritual' feeling. Then I suggest Coptic Faith....haha

I just take what i need and leave the rest. Apple's and oranges here. Good question.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.