Agnostic.com

23 4

Oath ... Does anyone in this forum swear on the/a bible?

Legal experts out there ...

Are these valid reasons to declare an oath invalid:
1- if the person taking an oath is an atheist or belongs to a non-Christian religion
2- if there is a page missing ???

Just a couple of days ago I saw a bunch of JPs sitting in a shopping center. A bible was part of their equipment. In a way it is strange to see just the bible in a secular country. Ans if they have the bible why not a whole collection of "holy" books and paraphernalia so people to swear on?
The majority in this area are not even bible fans.

PontifexMarximus 8 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I won't. Most courts don't require it anymore.

I swear about the Bible.

Yup yup ?

Never. I took an oath when joining the Army, but didn't have to put my hand on any bible and we didn't have to say "God" in our enlistment oath if that went against our beliefs.

The bible, to me, is like the scene from Wizard of Oz with the bucket of water melting the Wicked Witch of the West....if I get within 5 feet of one, I feel myself getting hot. I'm afraid I'm going to burst into flames. 😛 Don't even get me started about setting foot into a real church! blek

I have sworn at the Bible, never on it. ☺

My man?

@Emme ?

No its ok in an english court to affirm.

I have testified in court 2 times in my life. I informed the judge, when I was called up to the bench and told him that I was atheist/pagan, and do not believe in god or the bible. I told him that I would be happy to swear to tell the truth, on my honor, which I value highly. He thanked me and said to swear me in that way, instead of using the bible and saying " so help you god". Instead, I swore on my honor.

I believe there is sometimes an option to swear on a law book?

Nope. I didnt use the bible during my enlistment or before my court testimony.

@Scoobs not the bible per say, but theyvwould en the oath with,”so help me god.” Like I can't be responsible for my own words

Not a chance.

I have held public office for many years. I affirm rather than swear and just end things at ...so help me. Honor and trust come from within, not from n unknown or unknowable deity. I also skip the ..under god.. part of the flag pledge.

I've been sworn in twice in the last 5 years or so. No bible was present at the proceedings nor was god mentioned in the oath. I was shocked considering I live in conservative Kentucky.

Sworn oath a few times, never saw a bible.
I have burned a few though.
. And no, I doubt missing page or whatever is grounds for dismissal.

Ok ... And if there was only one page left?

I'm more for swearing AT it?

Emme Level 7 May 4, 2018

In CA, when I served on jury duty, people just swore to tell the truth, without any bible.

The same for Arizona.

Sorry JP's?

I this she/he means jw but no sure

@Rdurham
Sad me, am so outta most loops. I don't know jw, either, lol

Justice of the Peace maybe?

Might have been jw, (jehovah's witnesses) yeah.
I did think of justices of the peace, but thought not.

Justice of the Peace .. Sorry I didn't realise that you might not have them. Here they pop up in the shopping centres to authenticate people's signatures or certify copies.

I have for one have always gotten such a kick out of this on these TV shows where it says do you promise blah blah to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help you God. Yeah sure man so what's going to happen to me if I lie. This is so ignorant. Do any reasonable thinking individual unfortunately there just aren't enough of us.

I'll swear on the American Constitution, but not on the Bible.

Wouldn't that be equally strange?

@PontifexMarximus Nope. Why would you think so?

@AtlGeekWoman Just my sentiment ...to me the actual item doesn't really make a difference: bible, Koran, constitution, a flag, a pasta colander or a roll of toilet paper ... They are just objects

Any lawyer will tell you you may put your hand on anything it's legal to put your hand on, or put it on nothing at all to take an oath. That has no effect on the legality of the oath.

Oh no ... Lol ... I asked this question after reading the most absurd explanation regarding annulment... An American canon law expert explained that annulment was not a form of Catholic divorce but ... Blablabla and he went on to explain that wedding would be deemed to not have force of law if the the holy water had been accidentally substituted by something else. This ningnong then gave an example of rubbing alcohol in a baptism ... He never really explained the technical reasons why 600000 marriages in the USA alone get annulled. The would represent tanker loads of rubbing alcohol.

I refuse to swear. I always try to tell the truth so why should any legal occasion be different? Never caused me any problems in the UK.

Very good point. I often thought that the entire oath stuff devalues our credibility.

telling lies in a court is purjury does not matter if you swore on the bible, a koran or a home depot catalogue

I know in swearing in situations those who didn't swear or use the bible could give an affirmation instead, but honestly I don't think this has been an issue in California courts for decades. I've been a juror 5 times and no court I was in ever used a bible for the swearing in or said "so help me god".

My last duty station was near DC and when my time came to reenlist, I gave my oath before the Constitution (sans thing word)

Haven't been to court for years but it might be fun to swear on the Kama Sutra

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73387
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.