Agnostic.com

27 3

An unofficial question: if Agnostic.com had a mascot who or what should it be?

Would it be a famous person?
Perhaps, an animal?
An object? A statue? A flag?
Fictional or not?

What do you think?

silvereyes 8 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What? I thought it aleady was The Flying Spaghetti Monster... at least for some.

Perhaps a symbol to represent science. A portrait of Charles Darwin? Of course from what I have read, Darwin himself was not an atheist.

@silvereyes How about this. Use the fish symbol with the feet, and for the eye have the Atheist symbol of the A inside the circle. I think that would work as a mascot symbol for the site. You might also be able to incorporate other atheist symbols ihnto an enhanced artwork of the fish with feet. Anyway, that is th ediestion i am thinking in.

The fish with feet munching on a bible or maybe climbing aboard and weighing down the cross jee-whiz is dragging to his cruci-fiction.

I vote for @silvereyes. 😉

That's okay, @silvereyes, because nothing exists outside my mind. And nothing exists outside yours. Each of us is a bubble of unverifiable perceptions. Every sight, sound, touch, smell, taste… every pleasure and every pain… it all takes place in the mind, and we can never see the minds of one another. And none of us can ever be certain anything at all exists outside ourselves. Each of us, whether we know it or not, is the embodiment of solipsism. And so my experience of you, indeed, resides in my mind and is for all intents and purposes a product of my imagination.

The Thinker by Rodin: It was originally designed for "The Gate of Hell" by Dante; however, it became famous as a stand-alone sculpture. It is a very moving piece of sculpture, and I was spellbound when I saw it. To me, it symbolizes the way we (agnostics/atheists) came to realize the truth.
[google.com]:

As it appears on "The Gates of Hell"
[upload.wikimedia.org]

Or a Calvin and Hobbes comic.

Excellent choice! Hits the mark, definitely. I've seen two of them (Paris and Stanford), I should have checked out the Philly one.

One of Rodin's original castings of "The Thinker," owned by Gerald Cantor, a former employer of mine, went down with the North Tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11 along with something like 900 Cantor-Fitzgerald employees. The sculpture's head was recovered but disappeared mysteriously soon after. I like the idea of the sculpture being a logo or "mascot" for the site but it may be trade marked.

A hedgehog, just because they are so darn cute. Can't be a penguin, Linux has that sewed up.

Carl Sagan petting a kitten while they both look up at the cosmos with curiosity

I know!!

Karellen

godef Level 7 Dec 10, 2017

Yup. My favorite all-time novel. Blew my mind the first time I read it.

A question mark.

The Crocoduck.

A Jackalope

An ape.

There could be something there to that. I like it.

For no reason at, Tony the Tiger comes to mind.

A Mt. Rushmore cartoon with carvings of Darwin,The Devil, Dawkins, & FSM.

Hyperion is the name of a coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) in Northern California that was measured at 115.92 m (380.3 ft), which ranks it as the world's tallest known living tree.

Bill the Cat. His philosophy is right on.

How about a platypus?

You have my vote !!!!

Richard Dawkins!

Spock

Person - W C Fields or Steven Wright or George Carlin
Animal - Duck-billed Platypus
Object - Magic 8 Ball
Statue - a bust of Alred E Newman
Flag - “What, me worry! In red letters on a rainbow flag.

A photon... caught with my bare hands.

Flying spaghetti monster. Or Cthulhu.

I don't know what it should be but I know what it should be doing. It should be holding something simple, a rock, a seed, a flower and it should be looking into it deeply as if it's seeing it for the first time.

the hulk

A raccoon. They're intelligent.

Bill Nye the science guy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7620
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.