Agnostic.com

27 3

A Sam Harris Question

A train is heading toward 5 people standing on the track. You can throw a lever and divert the train so it will hit and kill only one person. You could also push the person standing next to you onto the track which will stop the train. Or you can jump in front of the train, killing yourself but stopping the train. Which would you do?

• 7 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 6 votes
Grecio 7 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think I'd do anything honestly. 5 people die from my doing nothing is an accident bound to happen regardless of me being there, me throwing the lever is essentially murder of a person who would be safe without my intervention. And I'm definitely not killing myself in the hopes of...stopping a train?

Currenty, 13 agnostcians voted to throw the lever and one person die. 6 voted do nothing, 4 for push the person next to you, and 5 voted to jump in front of the train. I am sorry but I ain't dying for 5 people I don't even know. Most likely, when you throw the lever and kill one person that family is going to sue you for wrongful death.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:76770
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.