Agnostic.com

35 1

How do you handle the loss of a loved one without believing in an afterlife?

Admin 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any personal loss, particularly of loved ones, is a loss. I go through a period of mourning just like anyone else does, but with a couple a major differences. I know the mourning is for me and that hole that has opened in my life, not for the person who died. My feelings about that are that they have been removed from life and are no more.

As for the mourning, it must run its course. It is longer and sometimes deeper for some than others, but that too passes.

Life IS a never ending cycle: Life...death, life, death.. I don't understand why people can't accept this simple truth. And why are the majority of people afraid of death? We know this life is gonna end, it is a natural phase of life itself. Actually, believing in an afterlife is sorta spooky to me. I mean, I don't WANT to believe my relatives could be hanging around watching "over" me. Creepy! I had to put my little dog down this week and my caregiver actually thought she was consoling me by saying, "At least we know she's in a better place now." A DOG??? In a better place, really! Who sez??!! If people are now starting to believe that cats and even dogs have an afterlife and go to heaven, shit! It's gettin' pretty crowded up there! I hope they have laws to make the owners pick up after their animals; I wouldn't want to step into a pile of dog shit living in a utopian 'heaven'! LOL!

An excellent example of logic, reasoning, and humor... Funniest part to me: "I wouldn't want to step into a pile of dog shit living in a utopian 'heaven'!. I might have to use that one. Sorry about your dog expiring...

Your caregiver could be right. Your dog be could be returning to the star Sirius in the Canis Major constellation

You go through exactly the same stages of grief as anyone else does but, ultimately you resolve it in the knowledge that they still live on in your memories of them, shared experiences with them and in the lesson you learned from them.

I try to honor what they were about while they were here.

Donna Level 6 Sep 28, 2017

I figure death is part of life. It's definitely sad losing a loved one but that is how it is. Hold memories close because they are important for your life and experience in this life. One day you will be gone.

I remember one of my favorite "lines" from the movie "The Ten Commandments" uttered by pharaoh in his deathbed, "after all, dying is part of living."

when we die, "memories will be lost like tears in the rain" Roy Batty from The Blade Runner

It may take a while for the sadness to pass, but then I take solace in the fact that they no longer face any pain, suffering or worry and I relish my memories of them.

I look at the loss of a loved one as they have gone back to their original state of matter and energy. The Laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy define the world around us explicitly. After all, we are made up from stardust, living on a spinning ball, travelling thousand of miles an hour through space....

I know that death is inevitable and I try to focus on what they have left behind. How did they touch my life and others? I don't cry much, it's just a part of life.

By using the joyous memories to help me cope with loss;honestly, and delusion free.

I remember them and think about them often. And as tonia said, face the day. There is nothing wrong with being sad. Be sad and then get up and go on with the day.

I focus on the good memories. That brings me peace.

Loss it hard but death Is apart of life and I just kind of accepted that

yes,dating is part of living

oooops! . . . I mean, DYING is part of living!

Loss, is hard but a part of the life cycle. I do believe that there is something after life but I guess none of us will know for sure until our time on this plane ends.

I know the answer to that question! You stated that none of us will know for sure (about an afterlife) until our time on this place ends. When we are done on this plane it taxies to the end of the runway and exits into the airport terminal! About as ridiculous as believing in heaven.

"our time on this PLANE" . . . you mean there are other dimensions? a seventh heaven maybe?

That is life!

It brings me such comfort to believe We have to return everything we have received from Nature back to Nature that life may continue to revolve. Nothing really dies, at birth that which is born of the flesh takes it's first breath, at death that which is born of the flesh takes it's last breath. I think of the loss of a loved one as their entry through that revolving door of life and I convince myself that they will be happier in the next life and I find great solace in their happiness.

Don't burn them. Bury them, so they can be reborn in other (perhaps icky at times) forms of nature, and thus live forever.

Ash can sometimes help nurture the soil and surrounding plantlife, too. Cremation's as valid as burial. I'm okay with either as long as the location is zoned for it. 🙂 There's also a lot to be said for organ donation or having one's body used for research/educational purposes.

do the best you can to face the day, yesterday is gone, who knows some of us if will be here tomorrow, it is uncertain. We have only the right here right now. You have to face the reality. Is it an after life? we do not know it.

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

I think fondly about how they lived their life. Period. Not the fact that they are now bug food.

I lose my wife 5yrs ago.well death took her away from us she was suffering from the cancer of the lungs. For me i don't believe in an afterlife.

Pissed, angry, sad, distraught, sometimes the pain is so great I don't I can make it sometimes, so I just wish science would hurry up and find a cure for death

That won't happen. The Cabal is spending a lot to fund experiments and research on medicine, chemicals and food and entertainment of mass destruction

The same way Ifelt when I realised the tooth fairy didn't exist.

Glad that I had learned truth.

I'm glad for you, too . . . I'm not ignoring the truth, it's just that I still have this Peter Pan syndrome and even now still waiting for a ride in Dr.Emmett Brown's De Lorean

I believe that when you die you will come back as something else

Going thru the experience of my brother in law just died days ago... my sister not handling it well at all despite her admittance prior that marriage was a Mistake. But now everything Swept and he was the greatest husband despite being her number 3. I am in the uncomfortable position of having to substitute him since staying there until end of the year. We got alone great and I happen to knew his mother since I was a little child. I have this concept that Souls continue returning until finding their kindred. I know I blew my mission in life and must return those loved ones already gone I simply don't expect to see them again because either they will be back here or move to the next plateau if mission completed.

When I lose a loved one I am relieved that they are not in any of the places that superstitious mumbo jumbo has made up. My grief is that I will miss the loved one and that I will hope that I can live out in my life some of the good qualities of the person I lost. I would share good memories, celebrate that they were part of our lives, and be relieved that they are in the same state they were prior to being born, nothingness.

This question is backwards. It's the loss of a loved one (child) that destroys the belief of an afterlife or a god.

pain but keep memories

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.