Agnostic.com

32 3

What's the nicest thing you've ever done for another person?

kensmile4u 8 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not one to toot my own horn. ?

Left them.

I've done volunteer work with handicapped children and their families. I've advocated at medical evaluations in Boston, educationally at IEP meetings (indl educational plan) and support with social services.

That's awesome! Thanks for being you.

Helped a homeless person

I don't think that's up to me to determine. If I were to start naming "nice" things I think I've done for others, it would just seem like bragging to me.

Same. I'm always trying to do nice things, make someones life a little easier. I don't ever keep a tally. Hopefully my actions speak for themselves...

Hmmm... I don’t want to say because a good deed needs no reward... but it made me feel good, perhaps as much if not more than them... I think we are wired to feel good when we do good to the point of selfishly helping others. I can’t imagine a better way to be selfish🙂

When I lived in the lake district, Ambleside, the school children had their sports day and then ran up Helvellyn ,the local fell. One boy was told not to go as he had asthma but he went anyway and my partner and i had already climbed the fell in advance to cheer on the stragglers from the top. The asthmatic one sort of 'fitted' ,and I carried him down. He was pretty big and when people came running to help I was near the bottom but there was a gate to be crossed - people by this time had realised that we needed help and I couldn't let go of him - I Think I was in some sort of altered state like in a battleground situation - All was well in the end wehn lots of people were around and the local doctor etc.

Not went to school. Teacher was over the moon!

Coldo Level 8 May 9, 2018

I dunno...I don't really think of it in terms of "nice scale" I just do good things

Like what?

I dunno, lots of little stuff, I guess. Lots of helping ladies with prams negotiate public transport. Lots of spending time with oddballs at uni who otherwise might have felt pretty isolated. Lots of making my bipolar/unipolar depressive friends cry with laughter when the black dog was visiting. Lots of sanctuary provision to geeky kids at the library I used to work at. Little bits and pieces - can't think of any grand gestures, I'm afraid.

I told them the truth about Jesus.

Give them my heart and my time.....

jasen Level 8 May 9, 2018

Donating work as part of a volunteer crew to the Habitat For Humanity, and seeing the joy of struggling family walk into their new house.

I took care of my Grandpa who had Alzheimerimer's disease for a year until he passed.

Refrained from murdering them despite the fact that they deserved to be snuffed out.
I'm nice like that. Also, jail sounds hideous.

hahahaha!

Listened to people. So many people don't listen.

A complete stranger was sitting on the train in my carriage, he was a late middle aged man who had fallen asleep he was acompanied by another gentleman sitting further down the aisle.
I was on my way into the city for a job interview and was thinking through my resumé when the train pulled in to one of the city stops, a number of passangers got off and the automatic doors began to close, the sleeping man sprang to his feet and launched himself at the closing doors.

He managed to partially push his way through, but was pushed somehow by other part of the door which contiued to press home.
He managed to extricate himself but lost his balance and fell awkwardly down and to the left headfirst . A woman standing closest to the doors screamed " Jesus no..he's gone under, he's under the train..Jesus! Jesus!"
Everybody froze and there was a lot of shouting and pandemonium but nobody was actually doing anything except covering their eyes and ears.
I got up and ran over and hit the emergency stop button, the doors immediately opened and I jumped on to the platform, and there he was stuck between the platform and the train struggling but unable to do anything. I tried to pull him up, but he was too large and heavy.

Being a good deal younger and slimmer than this portly rotund gentlemen I decided to jump down under the train and try to push him up.
This was a stupid thing to do because I really didnt know if the emergency button was to open the doors or stop the train, I was terrified but had to try because I thought I only had seconds before the train pulled away again taking both of us with it.
I pushed him with all my strength and made enough progress to get his head one arm and one leg up, another man jumped off onto the plaform and took his arm, then another appeared and grabbed his leg,..so once they had a hold of him, I quickly climbed up from under the train back onto the platform and took his leg with the other guy and we all pulled together. We dragged him out and he dusted himself off, then he got back onto the train telling me this wasn't his stop and that he had left his satchel bag in the carriage, the next stop was his stop as was mine.

People clapped when I got back on the train, and the driver was happy to continue, I thanked the other two guys that helped me.

The odd thing was that the man we had just helped never thanked any of us and left the train at the next stop, getting off and procedding down the stairs beside me. He didn't speak to me and behaved as if nothing happened.
So much for being a good Samaritan.

P.s I got to the interview late ... I began to tell the interviewer the story and that I was still a little shaken. Im not sure that he believed me because, he interupted me,looked at his watch and stated that he had other people to see. I didn't get the job, but I did get a much much better one about two weeks later. So although no good turn goes unpunished,...every cloud has a silver lining!

Great Story. You are a hero!

@kensmile4u I was young and stupid... I was also a Christian at that point...so I guess I expected I would come out ok with God on my side...
But no...Im happy to help anybody out who needs help...but I have to tell you the next bastard that falls under a train better be a relative or they are on their own...

@Hitchens That guy should have thanked you!

Today I got my boss a free Rt 44 drink from Sonic. I filled out the survey. They wouldn't let me have a water, well, they charge for water. Oh well. It was 80°F out. I walked the whole way to Sonic.

I was fortunate enough to be there for my mother in the last several years of her life after she suffered a stroke. She had other issues too and was completely disabled and could only get around her own house with a walker. We had to use a wheelchair to go outside of the house, to visit friends and family, and to appointments. I took care of her and took care of her house, and made it so she could stay in her house. The last year I had to hire a full time caregiver. She was always there for me and deserved to be treated like a queen In her castle in her final years.

Hard to say. I've done a lot of nice things.
OK....at a strawberry festival in upstate NY/US...lots of people milling about.
Two young women were sitting at a table, one obviously under developed mentally, smiling and waving to everyone. Everyone ignored her.
I waved, sat and talked with her and her sister for a while.
Her happiness at having someone stop and talk was exuberant and her sister appreciated it also.
I grew up with challenged people next door.

Nice!

I would have talked with them anyway but I was really dismayed at how many studiously avoided them.
People can be assholes.

Saved their life

Taken care of myself.

Let them go.

I married her !

Happily and forever after.

Whatever it is, I did it when no one was watching and nobody needs to know anyway......but yeah, I have and its awesome

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77356
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.