Agnostic.com

9 3

This Is America

Have you see the video? The symbolism is sometimes in your face and more subtle at other times. Is Childish Gambino's latest song brilliant social commentary, outrageous sensationalism, or somewhere in between? What are your thoughts?

Original video can be viewed here:

Analysis can be found here (in case you don't get it):

• 11 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
MarvelAnn 8 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of the symbolism is pretty obvious and that type of music is not for my, however I can't disagree with the statement it makes on your failed nation.

I'm so glad you posted this. I watched it for the first time last night, and was thunder struck. It was thought provoking, and damn surprising. I have read several comments about this online, and the one that resounded with me the most stated that Gambino is fine as long as he is performing (as a black man shucking and jiving for "the man" ), but he can never stop.....he'll always be running. It's a powerful video, graphic, but I think it is graphic for a reason, not JUST to be shocking.

Being a history fiend and having studied racism as it pertains to the history of America, which is huge, I caught the symbolism, even when subtle. Sadly, though, those who need the message the most find subtlety very easy to ignore.

Deb57 Level 8 May 9, 2018

I don't get all of it - but it's artistic commentary, doesn't seem to be any doubt about that

Brilliant!

I used it today to help someone see where their eyes are being led. And the ouchies are all on point!

Works for me. America has issues.

It’s definitely provocative. And that is a good thing. Fear of a dialogue is a complacent weakness.

Brilliant Commentary, but I never would have understood it without the analysis. Thank you!

Sorry. Don't understand it, even with the "hidden meanings" video. Obviously one has to be American to do so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77477
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.