Agnostic.com

16 1

Do you believe in astrology?

Please support your belief or non-belief...

GoodMan 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I don't believe in gods, fairies, unicorns, leprechauns, and the like, why would I hold astrology in esteem?

No, absolutely not.

Nope, but its easy table conversation when youre bored with people

I don’t believe in astrology either, but I certainly aporeciate the comments.

No, astrology is just another religious belief that the position of the moon in relation to arbitrary groups of stars has an effect on who you are and what you should do, I really don't see any sense in that.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 6, 2017

I don't believe there's any kind of scientific backing. Mostly that can refer to any person at any given time. But I still have fun reading my horoscope and compatability. Lol

It's really fun

This is my philosophy toward Astrology: If you have to check your star-chart to see if we're compatible, we're not.

Are you Virgo or Capricorn?

That’s a good one

No, no scientific methodology...

Evanx Level 2 Oct 5, 2017

Sometimes being clinically methodical takes the fun out of life

It's nonsense. Although it tends to be relentlessly positive and encouraging, so it's a little better than religion, though no more scientific.

. . . but not all unscientific things are a nonsense

Easy for you to say @SonnyMlaPH ... but can you name one non-scientific thing that isn't nonsense (i.e. devoid of inherent or essential meaning)? Remember, you're talking to an ex-essentialist!

Not even a little bit. To say that every person born with the same period of time during the year will have the same personality traits is absolutely absurd. I can see some of my traits described in nearly every sign, but I am a Scorpio, and most descriptions I read of Scorpios are not me at all.

Some people tend to change their ways so quickly when they see or were told of their uncivil or embarrassing traits that they can easily say, "Pardon, but that's not me!"

Indeed I do, as a matter of fact, Im a Scorpio

Well, I'm a Virgo and this rather sad info is straight out from an astro site:

How compatible are Virgo and Scorpio?

"Scorpio is not the most sociable sign in the zodiac; Virgo compatibility is slow burning too, so this isn't a fast moving relationship. They do, however, recognise a karmic bond between them, and they do feel a sense of togetherness right from the start."

Kinda low chance for romance. I'm quite tired of intellectual relationships. I'm a romantic fool.

Astrology just makes a bunch of personality traits everyone has and says you belong to this group. My personal experience I could fit myself into several of the signs easy. When i was a teenager I believed in astrology so much i bought a book about it and even got my sign tattooed on my arm. After reading into it more i came to the conclusion that there was no evidence for the stars forming my personality, just claims. I don't regret the tattoo by the way it's still a decent piece of artwork.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 5, 2017

Must be some artwork

I'm a Scorpio and i'm not going to lie, the traits behind being one are scarily accurate to who I am and I have no idea how that is... it's something I don't understand too well but I believe perhaps more so in the alignment of stars and such perhaps... it's such a weird topic to consider because often it never is accurate and then... the traits are always on point.

People's moods affect their traits and personalities. Our moods are affected by the weather ("rainy days and Mondays always get me down" ) The weather is affected by the gravitational pull of the earth on the moon, the sun on the earth and farther out on the other planets in our solar system and much farther out on the other stars in our MilkyWay and on the other galaxies far, far away . . . May The Force be with you.

It's funny. I'm a Taurus and my sign attributes fit me very well but I do not believe in astrology.

Come on, have some fun. That's what life is all about

Yes I do!

For me it's a shortcut to find much insight into a person's character and personality which I can't easily get from psychology books.

Palm reading? not at all . . . that's only for acupressure

Not astrology per se, like "you'll meet a stranger", but I DO believe in certain personality traits in certain sun signs.

Fun reading the character traits

Hi Goodman! My position on Astrology is it's not a consistant or reliable path to the truth. It seems to rely on conformation bias and is, at best, a pseudoscience (without the science claim).

In my Street Epistemology practice I have a few encounters with believers in Astrology and they have been some of my most productive and fun ones. One aspect I like about astrology is there many of the believers in it also learned some Astronomy as a bi-product. And that is GREAT!

So much fun

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.