Agnostic.com

8 3

Looking for some good Audio books

I've been listening to Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Harari. Really enjoying it. I'm looking for more books that talk about the history and evolution of religions. I don't really want anything that bashes religion, just something that says "this belief gave way to this other belief which influenced this larger belief". I'm thinking of reading (listening) to "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins next. Or possibly "God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens. I would like something a little more truth/science/history based instead of opinion/anger based. Any recommendations welcome. Thank you!!

BlueEyesDallasTX 5 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My favorites:

• Born a Crime by Trevor Noah (he reads it as well)
  • The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz read by Lin-Manuel Miranda (of Hamilton of course)
  • Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao

Find "When god was a woman", by Merlin Stone.

Absolutely amazing book... one of the very best I've read recently. Here is another quartet of good reads, in no particular order of priority, only from years past and a bit eclectic, 💡 Of Human Bondage/William Sommerset Maugham; (ii) Songs of Distant Earth/Arthur C. Clarke; (iii) Darkness at Noon/Arthur Koestler; (iv) The Mother Tongue/Bill Bryson ...

Awesome recommendations! Thank you all!

American Gods , tenth anniversary edition, full cast by Neil Gaiman. ? I keed, I keed... But it is a seriously fun audio book about "gods" that are no less real than any other.

I'm currently listening to Mythos by Stephen Fry. The complete Greek mythology mixed with his humour. I would recommend it.

I love the Greek stuff.

I think you might really enjoy Jordon B. Peterson's book 12 Rules For Life. If you're not familiar with him, you can get where he's coming from by watching some of his YouTube videos. I love the Psychology of the Bible series.

Thank you

"The Quest of the Historical Jesus" is a 1906 work of Biblical historical criticism written by Albert Schweitzer. It's now available as an audio book.
It's not the easiest read but I enjoyed wading through it over 30 years ago. I highly recommend it.
I don't know if they're available on audio book but two more books that I would recommend are:
"Did Jesus Exist?" by G. A. Wells and "Atheism, The Case Against God" by George H. Smith.

Athos Level 5 May 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78052
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.