Agnostic.com

152 12

What is the bible to you?

Being raised Catholic the bible is to them the word of god, right? To me the bible is a book just like Harry Potter is. Who is to say that 2000 yrs from Harry Potter is the new bible.
My question is, what is the bible to you?

CeciRosane60 7 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

152 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a book

My thoughts: The Bible is a collection of written works from different periods in the Middle East, composed and edited by many different people with a variety of motivations, and compiled and canonized by the established Roman Catholic Church (for the New Testament) based upon what they already believed to be true, discarding any writings that disagreed with their established theology. None of the New Testament is a first-hand account of the life and times of a Jewish carpenter-turned-preacher who may never have existed at all. Paul of Tarsus is the true founder of the faith, and his ministry was one of power and money and influence for the sake of political and social revolution. The gospels are basically Jesus fan fiction. And many of the books are now seen by historians to be fraudulent. Some of the more symbolic works, seen by fundamentalists to speak to our age, were indeed coded language to criticize the powerful in its own time.

Yep.

I have always found it interesting that, although the biblical canon was not settled by the Roman Catholic Church until the 4th century, and then only gradually, Protestants (with the exception of discarding the Old Testament Apocrypha) bought into it hook, line and sinker. If the Protestants thought the Catholics were so wrong, why did they think their theological choices were so right when it came to the Bible?

The Bible is 100% accurate, if thrown at close range.

????

You've never seen me throw.

I concur with Mark Twain and this saying on it in his Letters from the Earth: "It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies."

I will also add that it contains many contradictions.

555 contradictions according to A book I had.

The Goat Herder's Guide to the Galaxy.

Duke Level 8 Dec 21, 2017

Thank You - that laugh was Delicious! 😀

Well said!! Wish I'd thought of that....

HHGG throw the towel in.

A doorstop

A collection of ancient stories. Nothing more.

a waste of a tree

A very well written book of fiction.

Not that well written is my opinion ...

Yeah, I’m going to have to agree with CeciRosane60. That book contridicrs itself just a little too much to be taken seriously if it is supposed to be the word of a God.

A way to get people to put 10% of their income toward "death insurance". Here's where it says you have a soul and there is an afterlife. Since the bible says so, that makes it true. To be sure you get in, just give me 10% of your income and I will get you in. Guaranteed.

Oh by the way, when you die, you can't come back and tell these people that they lied, that there is no afterlife. So their con game is 100% safe. Nobody can refute it. See, it says so right here...in the bible.

Like a time share on beach front property in the galaxy, right?

Sounds right! 🙂

kindling

turf Level 5 Dec 11, 2017

@turf, now that I like 🙂

My Mother revered the bible, in her words, "I believe the bible word for word," and in her last days, I sat by her bedside and read to her from the bible, and could see her lips saying the words, as I read them. I never saw Mother read the bible aside from when reading along in church. I haven't picked up a bible since, regard it and the philosophy it fosters, is the most dangerous thing we, as a people face, religions and religious people.

A book of mythology. I've always been interested in mythology, not so much Christianity but in my book called "The Mythical Creatures Bible" by Brenda Rosen it even has as it puts it "Creatures of the Bible" which has a few of the beasts from the bible in it and basically refers to the bible as a legend. Even has Lilith in it. Which gave me information that in the Jewish Talmudic folklore of the fourth century CE, says this... quote.. "Lilith is said to be Adam's first wife. Seductive and enchanting, she was created by God in response to Adam's request for a mate. However, Lilith refuses to lie submissively beneath Adam as he desires and when he tries to force her, she abandons him. Though God sends three angles to bring her back, Lilith refuses. Instead, she consorts with evil spirits near the Dead Sea, where each day, she gives birth to more than a hundred demons. A Muslim legend says that she coupled with Satan and gave birth to the demon Djinn. To punish her for her disobedience, God kills some of her children each day." I think that is pretty fucking interesting and it makes me laugh!! Cause if you bring all religions together, it basically means that Eve was indeed not the first woman and the bible liesss and covers the trutthhh. Pretty funny!

If you study the Sumerian legends you find the history was taken by those who wrote the Talmud (old test), and that much of biblical old test. is from Sumeria, not the Jewish nation. Sumeria dates back to 450k, so there were people here long before Adam and Eve. The Twelfth Planet by Zecharia Sitchin translated found tablets from Sumeria in 1976. It tells the whole story of the garden of eden etc... Zoroastrians tell part of the history, the bible is part of the history, and other civilizations tell other parts - Hinduism etc... One must really study them all and draw from them like a great puzzle to fit it all together. Good luck to you on your journey.

Texas Monthly Magazine

When I was a believer it was a general guide, I never thought it was the actual word of God and always knew that it was written by men, but I thought God may have inspired them. Most recently I have used a pocket bible that I picked up from a street preacher as rolling paper. Always wanted to light up John 3:16. It was very satisfying.

A long hard lesson...

It's a book that I read most of while attending university. Other than that, it's a collection of stories that may or may not have value to the reader. In the right hands, it's a foundation for some interesting discussions. In the wrong hands, it's a brutal weapon.

Wait... I like that Harry Potter bible idea. I'd pray to the almighty Dobby. Saint Hagrid has a nice ring to it.

Duke Level 8 Dec 21, 2017

a guy after my own heart

The hair fits and Hagrid is very, very cool. Potter is an archetype of the beneficent mage with the power to save others and help them to become better people. Malfoy's - the devil and demons. 😉

Toilet paper!

Much of the Old Testament is also found in The Torah and The Koran. But, a good place to start is, "Which Edition, version, translation or language of the Bible are we talking about?"

It is a magnificent influential historical document. Poetry, parables, allegory, love, war, prayer and life.

But, it is a book. To many, a holy book. To others its a bludgeon.

a very strange series of legends written 1400 years ago translated badly twice, about something that never happened 2000 years ago. beats me how anyone finds any solace in it .

I have wondered the same thing.

An ancient sewer with some diamonds in it.

skado Level 9 Dec 11, 2017

Define diamonds, please?

That's a load of shit!

Why did you say that?

@CeciRosane60 Archetypal images that tell us something about our nature. An ancient predecessor to modern psychology; an effort to relieve psychological suffering. And some thoughtful insight on social cooperation, which is still scientifically sound.

@BucketlistBob Why did who?

The bible is a sewer, sewers are full of shit. Therefore, bible is full of shit! QED

@CeciRosane60 industrial diamonds are used as abrasives.

An afterthought.
That's the best I can come up with. 🙂

Interestingly enough Catholics hardly ever read the bible. Which is a pity because it sure helps with deconversion.

Their leaders discourage it because they only are supposed to believe the church's interpretations.

Makes for excellent cartridge paper for black powder reloading!

I view the bible like I view the Iliad and the Odyssey, and other mythic books. It's fascinating how we can see politics shape their god. How battles between Moshite and Aaronid priests would constantly call into question offering sacrifices in the Temple only, versus on the "high places." And yet... it would somehow go on to take over the world and many would view it as fact.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.