Agnostic.com

152 12

What is the bible to you?

Being raised Catholic the bible is to them the word of god, right? To me the bible is a book just like Harry Potter is. Who is to say that 2000 yrs from Harry Potter is the new bible.
My question is, what is the bible to you?

CeciRosane60 7 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

152 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The cause of centuries of division.

Use it as a feminine product for my menses. Oh...wait, this supposed God is the one who cursed me and all women with a period since the fall of Eve in the first place.

simply a collection of stories handed down orally for many years, then put into print, and edited as needed. in other words, just a book.

fire wood.

For me the bible is an inside look at the culture from the era in which it was written. Not completely historical but a written document of societies attempt at creating an acceptable life within the confines of their knowledge.

Tizi Level 3 Dec 12, 2017

Fiction.

a book

Totally irrelevant… I view it as an often revised extremely distorted attempt to blend myth and history. The western world’s collection of folklore. The written, or printed equivalent of any number of cultures oral depictions and descriptions of β€˜how we got here.’ Seems it’s become the equivalent of a flag, or an emblem representing those who continue to use it to validate the subjugation of others…

In an attempt to β€˜read it,’ I got hold of the oldest version I could find, assuming that being a tad closer to the original intent - couldn’t get past the first 3 pages … not only filled to overflowing with β€˜murder, death & war,’ but obviously open to any desired interpretation inimaginable… I’m pretty sure it hasn’t the power to stop a bullet πŸ˜‰

Varn Level 8 Dec 11, 2017

An ancient book of myth that codified two separate philosophies and dogma that tries to project a single religion but are mutually incompatible.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books, written by men, thousands of years ago, who were not even there!

Fiction

The thing that holds up the rickety coffee table.

A collection of stories to answer questions of a sheep hearding society. A collection that is taken way too seriously today.

Truth is what the facts are. The Bible was written by ignorant, bronze age, savages who thought the world was flat.All fable's have to start somewhere and somehow.Thats as close to the truth you'll get from the Bible.If you use the Bible as a moral guide, you'd be a criminal on ever continent on the planet.It promotes murder, slavery,incest, genocide, animal cruelty,spousal abuse, abuse, abortion,pillage, cannibalism. I could go on forever why it's a book I should avoid.

Rolling papers? Lol

A book I probably wouldn't read if you paid me!

A story book of morals and nothing more. Fiction.

I think it should be called the book of manipulation

A anthology of cultural trends and characters compiled in attempt to understand that which the tools to do so were not yet present.

Its smoking paper

If you are Catholic it is a collection of 73 books. If Protestant it is 66 books. It is important to know that there were many different books involved and they were all separate and independent books in their own right. Long after times of Jesus it was decided to bind the religious books together into one volume so believers would have a collection of approved books. Some made the grade and some did not. The separate books were bound in such a way as to "tell a story" but it took over 100 years for Revelation to be finally accepted. This is why the bible has contradictions. This is also why I can dismiss ideas of a biblical god. The bible is similar to the novel or movie "Frankenstein" where a living being is made from many different parts of dead bodies and then brought back to life.

A coaster or doorstop ?

First, to me, the Bible is a collection of parables, full of lessons for the readers are supposes learn from(but don't)
Second, to me, the word of God? If that's the case, man is doing a piss poor job of learning from God.
Third, the age of the Book(Old Testament) based on historical accounts, is less than 3000 Years old, so to me, that basically rules out the notion that it is the "Word of God".
4th: In terms of who wrote it, I've heard from priests and pastors, that it was "written by God"....not likely. I subscribe to the notion that it was written by men who considered themselves to be "Godly"...not "God". But then, the notion of what is a "Godly Man" has always been evolutionary in nature....never constant.
Finally, sadly speaking, certain sects of Today's society have used the Bible to justify "Hate" and codify "Hate'....making those who invoke the Bible by using it to justify hateful acts, as "UnGodly".

The Bible to me is a poorly written collection of stories, poetry, and rules for ancient peoples. It was written about 1500 BCE by different authors it has been shuffled,translated, copied and recopied changed and retranslated . During this books were lost. Some stories were taken from other people.
The gods El and Baal were from Egypt and the Book of the Dead. Noah was taken from Babylon, other stories like Moses appear to come from ancient Persians.
My reading of the Bible lead to my deconversion.

It’s an interesting enough historical text full of delightfully ridiculous allegories. πŸ˜‰

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.