Agnostic.com

39 4

As an Atheist or Agnostic, are you less depressed or anxious?

This is for those who were believers and then moved to the logical side.
Did you have depression and/or anxiety in your life when you believed?
Do you think the overall level of depression and/or anxiety is more or less, since you've become an atheist or agnostic?

MrLizard 8 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Less guilt because sin isn't real. less fear bacause hell isn't real. more freedom to explore alternative ideas so my brain isn't stagnating in stasis.

So sorry!

Deity Level 3 Apr 17, 2019

As a Fully Accredited, Qualified and practising Psychologist, Child and Young Adult Psychological Counsellor and also working with adults of all ages, I can honestly and openly state categorically that of the many hundreds of clients I have worked with over 30 plus years that I've been Counselling, 9 out of every 10 of my Theist/Religious Clients have plainly had and shown severe/extreme symptoms/sign of BOTH Depression and Anxiety whereas less 3 out every 10 Non-believing Clients have shown any of those symptoms/signs.
Others in my field have also found very much similar ratios and have documented them as have I BUT they too have found themselves to be the target of much derision, etc, from the 'circle' of fellow Psychologist who are adherent Religious Believers.
When it comes to the children/youths from Religious backgrounds in particular I have found, as also have innumerable fellow Psychologists btw, they suffer far more from Depressions/Anxieties than do the children from Non-Religious backgrounds and families and the Non-religious background children are not plagued by the one thing that is, in my opinion, epidemic among the Religious Children, that being an Ingrained Fear/Dread/Terror of punishment from their parents/peers and god IF they even listen to/try to comprehend. absorb ANYTHING at all that is not a part of nor relates to entirely the Tenets/Dogmas, etc, of the Belief System/s that they have force fed from the earliest parts of their lives.
Ergo, it is my Educated opinion that religion and religious up-bringing does have a very negate effect and harmful impact on the developing minds and personas of young children and young adults and this urgently needs to be addressed for the sake of future generations.

I don't believe they are even related. How one truly trust their OWN stated of mind, is the key,
IF one accepts excessive guilt as their guide , then they should not be depressed, we only accept what we select to accept

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 1, 2018

I feel that thinking your gawd must have foresaken you, because just look at this mess, must be pretty disheartening. Plus you are going to be punished for not being more perfect both right now & forever.......ugh!

I feel that thinking your gawd must have foresaken you, because just look at this mess, must be pretty disheartening. Plus you are going to be punished for not being more perfect both right now & forever.......ugh!

For me, within the first half hour of gaining the full understanding the god was imaginary, an adult lifetime of anxiety simply disappeared. That was 7 years ago, and I still have my full bottles of med on my closet shelf.

Just the other day I had a drunk dude walk in front on my car and I had to fully apply the brakes. No anxiety. No sweating. No excessive heart beating.

I have never been happier.

I have nothing to compare it to. I've been an atheist all my life.

I definitely experienced a drop in depression and anxiety levels upon leaving religion. It has, however, fluctuated since then for various reasons, some related to being atheist and some not.

I feel less guilty I can tell you that.

I think my depression/anxiety will always be there.

I am just thankful when it is ebb tide rather than storm tides rolling in.

I have always been an atheist, and have suffered Major Depression Disorder since the age of 7. I see no reason to believe that atheism reduces depression.

Only dictators I'll handle are the royal family (to a point) because of Australias still technically being under a monarchy government. I can't sing in churches, I can't yell stuff I don't believe. I'll tell my family my lack of religious belief eventually. When I was religious I was often upset. Other than the stress of sidestepping religion atheism has given me more curiosity than ever and a weird sense of identifying with myself. Other than meeting people usually much older than me and talking to them which I enjoy religion never gave me much comfort. I wasn't fearful or anything I've been to churches all over Australia (parents did shows) and noticed the behaviour of the different denominations which was mildly entertaining but sometimes also sad...
It is much easier being non-religious than religious. I'm still stressed but for unrelated reasons.

Hmmm. I think life is life, plain and simple, but I sort of feel like living in the real world has made me stronger because I can deal with the harder aspects of life without the need of fairy tales and a belief someone is going to come and rescue me. When I somewhat believed, I felt more let down by a thing I thought should have been caring about me because I kept seeing all this messed up stuff happening to people. If it makes since, I actually found more comfort as an unbeliever because then I accepted that horrible things just happens in life sometime without any reason, instead of me just waiting for this sky daddy to rescue so many people in need.

Although raised religious, I was pretty much a closet atheist from a fairly young age - young enough that the weight of the world hadn't crushed me yet, anyway. 🙂

That said, as an atheist my entire adult life, I have suffered from depression but not out of anything related to religious guilt. On the other hand, I do personally know at least two people (a couple) who are very religious and both have pretty severe depression. From conversations with them, I have no doubt that much of it stems from the pressures of conforming to strict Catholic rules on what you can/can't or should/shouldn't do. And rather than bend the rules in order to possibly make their lives better, they simply pray to God to help them cope. You can imagine how well that goes.

Been here in this side of the river for so long... maybe half a century. All diagnosis been on this side and maybe I handled everything better because of it.

In the past year more depressed. Mostly situational i believe from the loss of my son.

I am sorry for your loss, I am one of those that believe a Parent should Never bury their Children. Stay Strong.

More.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life. I have been an atheist for 3 years now but I have been financially dependent on my family through this time. My anxiety has not changed, it has worsened. Depression also. I finally have a job that I can make enough money to move away from them. Damnit I hope it works out because being the only atheist in a fundamentalist christian household is hard as shit. I feel my anxiety and depression will ease up when I move out but there's no way to know for sure. Anxiety sucks so much, I hate it!

I suffer from acute anxiety and depression due to a chemical imbalance, so I don't think a religious outlook has much to do with it...However, atheism gives me one less thing to be depressed about...

Yes, a lot less depressed and anxious. When you are raised to be religious and do everything they tell you to do to gain a beliefs and it never comes, they then tell you you re nto doing it right. It is a great relief and feeling of peace to discover or come to the conclusion, that it is not you that is wrong, but religion itself and you are actually more "normal" and sane than religious persons after all, and that failing to believe is a sign of rationality and sanity.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other, personally.

Bit of an impossible question really, esp as it involves time, to a degree. Things happen in individuals lives at different times. Depression certainly is linked to age. And yes I think if I was totally wrapped up in a shared religious thing I might be more happy ( ignorance is bliss springs to mind), but Im not about to go join a happy church to improve my mental health. I guess if it works for you (one) then great.
I am reminded by the anecdotal story that Driving insurance can be lower for women because of the statistics. Which is what insurers deal with. But also that the statistically worst section of societies drivers are actually nuns . . . . . . Draw your own conclusions there. ciao4now Andy

I was always unsure if i was really a believer or not, or just trying to please my family. I feel a lot better knowing that i don’t need to have an answer to everything. My anxiety definitely went away when i came to my senses that there probably isn’t even a God, so why worry? Live life 🙂

Since depression is "too much past" and anxiety is "too much future"..I fail to see the relationship between depression / anxiety with Atheism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7836
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.