Agnostic.com

39 4

As an Atheist or Agnostic, are you less depressed or anxious?

This is for those who were believers and then moved to the logical side.
Did you have depression and/or anxiety in your life when you believed?
Do you think the overall level of depression and/or anxiety is more or less, since you've become an atheist or agnostic?

MrLizard 8 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

About the same, I'd say. I wish atheism had been a magic pill for me, but depression and anxiety will always be my stalwart companions.

Interesting question. I have always been a non believer so can't relate personally. But as a mental health nurse who often see the effects of grief and loss I t seems plausible losing your faith could cause depression and anxiety especially if the person doesn't feel they have gained something meaningful by adopting a non believer position. Many might feel freed and joyful for the change in life view... just a few thoughts

I was flying high until November of last year.

gearl Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

For me, it happened when Bernie Sanders lost the primary.

I am starting to look at other countries to possibly move to. Depends on how bad Trump fucks everything up. Of course we have been heading in a downward spiral since Regan started the whole "trickle down" con. However, Trump is putting us into overdrive down the spiral..

I think everything depends on the individual...

I had depression and anger issues as a Christian and still have them now as an atheist. The difference being I don't have to deal with the stress of being pressured to be active in church anymore on top of all my other responsibilities.

I can also say now I have allot more true friends that help get me through it regardless of my beliefs in God.

All in all I'd say becoming atheist did help reduce my stress level however the issues I have to deal with as someone who suffers from depression and anger are still there. I'm just not around so many triggers.

My life, like anyone else, has its ups and downs. The downs, even the lowest ones, could not be described as depression and have always been of rather short duration. My ups have never been enough to be considered manic, and those too are fleeting. I'm just a boring example of our species.

As a Spiritualist, I'm definitely more balanced than when I was a Christian operating within the confine of rules and appearances... LOL

I was definitely more anxious when I believed. Today, at the age of 80, I am neither anxious or depressed.

Atleast not depressed n anxious due to a religion

i've always kind of been agnostic/atheist so i guess nothing has really changed

Nope, I struggled with depression/anxiety while I was a believer, and as an enlightened non believer I still struggle with depression/anxiety from time to time. When I was a believer I was also angry with god that I had to struggle. I was told there was a lesson "god" wanted me to learn through my struggle. FTS. As a non believer I know it is brain chemistry and situational, and eventually it will pass.

I think faith has a tendancy to make people feel guilty and sinful - that's one of its main aims.

If you are prone to such feelings, religion won't help you.

I still suffer from depression. It's not as bad as it used to be 2 years ago. I'm still sad I'm alone. I found out yesterday, my aunt's stage 4 Melanoma cancer has now spread throughout her head. It's rapidly spreading. I think the radiation isn't helping. Soon it will reach her brain. My mom died of cancer too. (My aunt's sister) My aunt is the only family member in CO that cares about me. My uncle might move to AZ if she dies. I'm depressed. I won't move to AZ.

I’ve got cancer throughout my family. Many family members have died from it. I will most likely get it again. I’m a cervical cancer survivor.

I did palliative and hospice nursing for 19 years.

My Pop died at home in 2005 from cancer. My Mom is going through chemo right now.

If it helps, cancer in the brain is the best to have, imho. While it’s still hard on the family, the person it’s affecting goes quicker and seem to suffer less (because the mind goes before the body).

I’m a member of a support group on FB. It’s for family members only, not for the people with cancer.

[facebook.com]

There are a few to choose from.

Thank you.

I'm both, but neither are due to my being a non-believer. I was diagnosed with ADD in the 2nd grade (and I still have it) and I also have dysthymia (persistent depressive disorder) and I have anxiety as well.

Since depression is "too much past" and anxiety is "too much future"..I fail to see the relationship between depression / anxiety with Atheism.

I was always unsure if i was really a believer or not, or just trying to please my family. I feel a lot better knowing that i don’t need to have an answer to everything. My anxiety definitely went away when i came to my senses that there probably isn’t even a God, so why worry? Live life 🙂

Bit of an impossible question really, esp as it involves time, to a degree. Things happen in individuals lives at different times. Depression certainly is linked to age. And yes I think if I was totally wrapped up in a shared religious thing I might be more happy ( ignorance is bliss springs to mind), but Im not about to go join a happy church to improve my mental health. I guess if it works for you (one) then great.
I am reminded by the anecdotal story that Driving insurance can be lower for women because of the statistics. Which is what insurers deal with. But also that the statistically worst section of societies drivers are actually nuns . . . . . . Draw your own conclusions there. ciao4now Andy

I don't think one has anything to do with the other, personally.

Yes, a lot less depressed and anxious. When you are raised to be religious and do everything they tell you to do to gain a beliefs and it never comes, they then tell you you re nto doing it right. It is a great relief and feeling of peace to discover or come to the conclusion, that it is not you that is wrong, but religion itself and you are actually more "normal" and sane than religious persons after all, and that failing to believe is a sign of rationality and sanity.

I suffer from acute anxiety and depression due to a chemical imbalance, so I don't think a religious outlook has much to do with it...However, atheism gives me one less thing to be depressed about...

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life. I have been an atheist for 3 years now but I have been financially dependent on my family through this time. My anxiety has not changed, it has worsened. Depression also. I finally have a job that I can make enough money to move away from them. Damnit I hope it works out because being the only atheist in a fundamentalist christian household is hard as shit. I feel my anxiety and depression will ease up when I move out but there's no way to know for sure. Anxiety sucks so much, I hate it!

More.

In the past year more depressed. Mostly situational i believe from the loss of my son.

I am sorry for your loss, I am one of those that believe a Parent should Never bury their Children. Stay Strong.

Been here in this side of the river for so long... maybe half a century. All diagnosis been on this side and maybe I handled everything better because of it.

Although raised religious, I was pretty much a closet atheist from a fairly young age - young enough that the weight of the world hadn't crushed me yet, anyway. 🙂

That said, as an atheist my entire adult life, I have suffered from depression but not out of anything related to religious guilt. On the other hand, I do personally know at least two people (a couple) who are very religious and both have pretty severe depression. From conversations with them, I have no doubt that much of it stems from the pressures of conforming to strict Catholic rules on what you can/can't or should/shouldn't do. And rather than bend the rules in order to possibly make their lives better, they simply pray to God to help them cope. You can imagine how well that goes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7836
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.