Agnostic.com

8 3

Just for fun here are some of my favorite quotes before I crash for the night. Be looking forward to reading some great responses in the morning with my coffee. ?????. Feel free to tell me your interpretations, ideas, which ones you like or agree with, which ones you don't. Anything goes.

"Religion is a verbal hobby" - Peter Joseph

"The individual is the coin of the operating realm in virtually all of the major Western institutions of medicine, education, law, religion, and psychiatry. These institutions collectively help create the myth that individuals are always in control of their behavior, act from free will and rational choice, and are thus personally responsible for any and all of their actions. Unless insane or of diminished capacity, individuals who do wrong should know that they are doing wrong and should be punished accordingly. Situational factors are assumed to be little more than a set of minimally relevant extrinsic circumstances. In evaluating various contributors to any behavior of interest. The dispositionalists put the big chips on the person and the chintzy chips on the situation. That view seemingly honors the dignity of individuals, who should have the inner strength and will power to resist all temptations and situational inducements. Those of us from the other side of the conceptual tracks believe that such a perspective denies the reality of our human vulnerability." - Philip G. Zimbardo ~ The Lucifer Effect

"One of the most critical, least acknowledged contributors to evil goes beyond the protagonists of harm to the silent chorus who look but do not see, who hear but do not listen. Their silent presence at the scene of evil doings makes the hazy line between good and evil even fuzzier." - Philip G. Zimbardo ~ the Lucifer effect

SilverDollarJedi 7 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This was evident in his Stanford prison experiment where students carefully vetted, showed when in a position of authority over another group of students will exceed their authority (whether out of boredom or a sense of superiority), mistreat the students who were selected to be prisoners. It was also apparent that a few were not comfortable and refused to participate but did not object or intercede on behalf of the prisoners.

Right and wrong are not clear-cut when a more submissive is faced with a dominant personality.

It was a very interesting experiment. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

They did a good job on that movie too.

@SilverDollarJedi

I agree and would go a little farther and suggest that all law enforcement would benefit with classes on the subject and would go so far as to test them on a yearly basis to make sure it sticks. It would be nice if they would get back to problem-solving rather than killing.

@SilverDollarJedi

I am in Canada and I can only speak to that. Here you would need to be affiliated with an accredited organization agreeable to this or politician to start that kind of petition with a thousand signatures so it would be recognized in Parliment. How you would do it in the states, I have no idea. You would need to do some research. I hope you do.

The Jews, the Muslims and the Christians, They've all got it wrong. The people of the world only divide into two kinds, One sort with brains who hold no religion, The other with religion and no brain.

• Abu-al-Ala al-Marri, 10th century Syrian poet

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls.

• Albert Einstein
gearl Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

"Christianity is a death cult." - Dr. Marlene Winell
"Christianity is a cult of human sacrifice." - Dr. Sam Harris

“Brevity is the soul of wit.” - William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Say what you mien and mean what you say (mien is demeanor

Here is a quote that I came up with:

The Universe is so perfectly balanced that it is also unbalanced. - Me

Religion cannot and should not be replaced by atheism. Religion needs to go away and not be replaced by anything. Atheism is not a religion. It's the absence of religion, and that's a wonderful thing. Penn Jillette

I whole heartedly agree with the first quote from The Lucifer Effect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.