Agnostic.com

14 4

Positive Thinking: A New Secular Religion?

In a secular society such as ours, doesn't the religious impulse find non-religious outlets? Doesn't Positive Thinking exhibit the same exhortations and unrealistic promises as religions? Doesn't it have money-grubbing prophets who are similarly idolized? Doesn't it have silly myths such as the "Butterfly Wing Effect"? Isn't it similarly used to have the oppressed blame their misery on themselves?

Krish55 8 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You call this an impulse. I think its just people are people with different goals and perspectives. This makes them see some things as important or make snap decisions that "feel" right. Spending any amount of time looking for the good in things is surely not a bad objective though? And if you drop $20 on someone who presents it in a way you like, is that automatically contributing to money grubbing?

-Wanting to converse with like minded people is social, not religious.
-No promises.
-No prophets.
-No myths. The butterfly effect is stupid, and has nothing to do with religion.
-No. Says nothing about blame.
Hope that helps.

???

No creeds no religion.

I'm leary of any belief system that requires blind adherence without questioning.

Leery

Sounds like unitarian universalism. They are a secular "religion". Their motto is deeds not creeds. Very humanist, very social conscious, very involved in volunteerism

Not ALL delusionals are RELIGIOUSLY delusional - but all delusionals lack rationality.

What religion does is actively promote delusional irrationality for its own benefit - and by doing so, it does great harm.

What we need is more rational thought, based on real and demonstrable evidence. This will weaken religion (which is good) and also weaken others who exploit delusion (also good).

That's the influence of capitalism. That and religion... Two biggies.

There is no delusion in positive critical thinking. What you describe is delusion. Positively thinking when throwing a cricket ball however or doing physical tasks is proven to deliver more positive outcomes.

Positive thought teaching comes from Eastern philosophy in it's root. Which rejects all idols and prophets. Only the Western pop culture coffee table magazine interpretation allows for delusion .. Not actual positive thinking as defined correctly 🙂

In my opinion anything can be worshiped. As for positive thinking being a secular religion I would have to say no but the Law of Attraction (LOA) maybe. They both teach that you must believe you will achieve something in order to do it. That is pretty much true since most of us would never practice something if we thought we would suck at it. The LOA seems to worship $$$ and has some rituals for success. In my opinion it is the rituals that make it a religion because it is a one size fits all mentality which can also be found in business, workout gyms, and even families. If an individual has no rights to voice opposition or explore other options without getting flack then I would classify it as a religion.

Best not to idolize anyone, regardless of how much you agree with their views.

There have been famous people write about and promote positive thinking. About anything can be made into a religion with mindless adherents spending money just to listen to "a talk." Being positive is good, but being open and smart is better. Life is ups and downs. Take each thing for what it is and don't expect perfection. The human mind is amazing. We can often fool ourselves into things. Considering facts and experience clears things up.

It does tumble easily and repeatedly into magical thinking.

Yes!

You are mistaken. The "placebo" affect alone proves that what we think affects us. People who have visual feedback can even regulate their heart beats, blood pressure, etc.

We are ultimately made of energy and everything is connected. We are contributing to creating our own universe.

“Consciousness is fundamental; matter is derived from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

I didn't say that all of PT is BS. Religions have their value too but are also full of BS.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78439
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.