Agnostic.com

20 2

What would you consider to be the 3 most important technological advances in science?

You can be general or specific.

atheist 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fiber optics, the transistor, the laser. All three opened up entirely new groundbreaking fields...

The only one that springs immediately to mind is refrigeration.

the blue led. trains and the gun.

Artificial arms and legs, the human head transplant, and computers.

It happened already. It was on Facebook. It worked.

@Sarahroo29 The procedure has been done with corpses, not with recipient and donor. I made a post about this.

Oh.

I believe the human head transplant -live person- was not done....yet.
I have several candidates.......lol

The procedure with a "live" person" was going to take place in China....but the government stop it fast.

People are volunteering to be the live person, I read somewhere.

atheist: It may sound ""hitlerian"" but, then, heart transplant ALSO DID DECADES AGO.
i bet you don't see any need for "ethic" when a surgeon transplant a penis.

Vaseline, gasoline and urethane.

Lol.

@ atheist -- Oil doesn't rhyme with 2 more picks. Duh 🙂

I think the question should be "What would you consider to be the 100 most important
technological advances in science ?

Yes, you're right. Then how about 25 most important technological advances in science.

Printing Press
Internal Combustion Engine
Computer

gearl Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

@atheist I included the ICE not because it was beneficial but because it changed the world so significantly. It was an important achievement but probably not a good one in the end. You didn't ask for the most beneficial ones.

Fingerprinting classification (1882)

An innovations Argentina is most proud.

axe, electricity , radio waves

A random 3 of top of my head.

Anaesthetic,can't imagine a world where there was none.

Discovery of Bacterial infections...saved countless lives

Gravity(laws of motion); we were all floating round in the air until Sir Isaac Newton discovered it.

Lol @ floating around

Trick question!

for humans - microscope - antibiotics - electricity.- [ then nuclear fusion as it may prevent small men with silly hats waging mass wars again]

Essentially unlimited clean free electricity will change everything.

• Aircraft which is capable of global wide travel.
  • Birth control
  • The internet
  • electricity
  • médecine
  • warefare/weaponry (because what improves technology faster than a little unhealthy life at risk competition)

I know it's a sad truth but weapons, the threat of weapons or the threat of imminent death really are the ultimate driving forces behind human innovation.

Agriculture hasn't been mentioned, so I'll add that to the list. Without this, we wouldn't be able to feed the human plague that is destroying this planet.

That sounds very negative, so let me finish with a smiley face 🙂

1. Fire (more a discovery and learning to use it for food, warmth, and light) along with agriculture
  2. wheel
  3. lever
  4. Archimedean screw pump

Newton's three laws of motion, antibiotics, pasteurization.

Vaccines, gene therapy and the printing press. I see the press as the forerunner of both computers and the internet.

Fire, stone tools and the wheel after those everything else is just sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

I feel we should sub divide that question.
"Primitive " innovations would have to include: (1) types of stone working, specifically, off the top of my head, flint working. (Plz look this up if it interests you, fascinating); (2) learning to create pottery/ceramics; (3) the beginnings of medicine, herbal and otherwise....... Most modern people do not give enough weight to the early learned skills. Oh, and (4) art, art separated humans from animals (re our mental abilities,not our innate worth), and was instrumental in our creating writing.

I realize many won't think my answers won't classify as "science", but I'd disagree. These were our start to all sciences, and the ones who continued the skills, continued the experimental processes, ever refining and researching.
Goodness, I love that!!!?

@atheist , ????, ???? silly guy!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7906
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.