Agnostic.com

27 3

Is God a Replacement for our Dad?

As little kids, we thought our dads were all powerful!. Then we grow older. Is God a replacement for this figure?

Krish55 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My father was the main reason I knew there could be no god.

My y-chromosome donor and this god character of which you speak share absence in common.

Superb. I admire your explanation. X

My dad is still with me at 93. He is WAY better than god. Just sayin'.

Not for me. My dad has always been better and kinder that god ever was.

No, my Dad was a better man than God ever was !

No, my dad took me racing, god hasn't.

Freudians think so.

Athos Level 5 May 12, 2018

You mean god isn't my real dad?

My dad took off before I was three. I've never been religious so I'm gonna have to say ....at least for me..... no.

Maybe. Fathers in many countries still sell their daughters in marriage, have total control over their lives, make them household maids, so maybe fathers are the template for the idea of a god.

Well, that's both depressing and sarcastic.

And probably watch them have sex.

I liked this analogy.

very good analogy.

Coercive control at its finest.

"God" is male?

My dad was rotten to the core. I often wonder how i got him as a dad. Who did i piss off.

Same person I did, I guess.

Freud thought so.

Freud did enough dope to kill a small horse.

@DenoPenno He had oral cancer and underwent something like 29 surgeries. Ended up losing his upper palette and had a false one made. Died by self inflicted gun shot.

@farmboy2017 Thanks. I did not know this.

Probably not, as my dad taught me how to shoot, sail, and properly wear a hat.

God is a replacement for effort, thought and incentive. All of which are vital to the cycle of life, vital to the future, vital to the present.

I dunno, but it's a very comforting thought to some, to have parent that will never go away, and eventually take you"back home" to some ultimate home with your real parent.

Yes, that's the Comfort I was talking about!

That's not comfort. That's believing in fairy tales.

An illusion can be comforting! That's why it persists for so long!

Yeah it’s always been like that, it’s why we are do hardwired to believe something must have created us and watch and protect us, it’s been our life since birth, kind of hard to break out of that spell.

Not hard to break the spell if you've never been brainwashed. Just the natural state of things. Which is what I wish for future generations.

Not in the least.

Not for anyone on this site...

No - god isn't a replacement for my dad.

My dad was a noble, honest and just man - not a howling, psychopathic, misogynistic, homophobic mass-murderer like god.

Hell No!

Mother nature is a cold bitch.

@GregGasiorowski

'Bitch' is hate speech.

Call the thought police, words kill after all.

I hope not... I am still around.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.