Agnostic.com

90 13

Do you care if you are remembered when you die?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember my grandfather's death and the life he lived. I try to live up to what kind of man that he was. I would like if someone would remember the better things I have done with my life and became a better person as a result.

I would like to be remembered, but the vast majority of us are not remembered beyond a generation or two. Anyhow, I don't really worry about it because I won't be in a position to know or care whether or not I'm remembered. (Although I have been known to declare that, if I haven't made it to the front page of the National Enquirer, I will steal the Mona Lisa when I'm 94. Yeppers)

We'd better get working on that.

@AstralSmoke Which part? The getting on the front page or planning my daring, albeit slow, caper?

@pixiedust Either one/both?

@AstralSmoke Shall I have my people call your people?

@pixiedust My people have been placed on suspension due to lack of constraint.

Nothing I really ever worried about, I remember my parents so I suppose I will be remembered by my family members.

Let you know when I'm dead to busy thinking about life at mo

Absolutely. Well, maybe not me personally, but the things I've made (novels, sculptures, art, etc.) will be around long after I'm gone. I mean, we remember Shakespeare still, though I'm no Shakespeare... But it's a comforting thought to imagine.

Yanno, I do a bit. I don't know if it's vanity or purpose but I want my people to remember me as someone who made an impact of some kind, a difference.

If death is final, then we cannot care.

I want to live fast, love hard, die young, and leave a beautiful memory. At 74 I have failed the first three, but you never know....

Why should I care?

I'll be dead.

Of course, but TBH, I'll be dead and really won't care at that point. I'd rather just NOT BE DEAD. =]

I'm barely remembered alive.

We all die two deaths. Once when your heart stops for good and then again when the last person who will ever speak your name dies.
Why care about how you will be viewed after you die?
Live your life. Don't be a dick. Que sera sera.

I do not want to leave hardship in my wake. THAT'S IT.
Otherwise carry on. IDC

@Qualia that's what the don't be dick part was about lol.

Though it's still possible I could "make my mark," at this point, I'd say it's highly unlikely. I accept my obscurity. If you think about it, even Shakespeare will be forgotten eventually; either when we nuke ourselves back to the Stone Age or when the sun goes nova or when the known universe collapses in on itself (assuming that theory is correct).

vita Level 7 May 12, 2018

Pessimism beguiles thee lassy our radio/TV signals may be deciphered for billions of years to come OUT THERE WHILE your cited theory may come true if fossil fuel burning/nukes make life go extinct

remembered by who, for what ? within not too long of a time, most will be long forgotten, so unless you do something that will keep your memory alive, you can count on not being remembered, but, actually, who cares ?

i won't be capable of caring

Bingo!

I hope that I will have been a positive experience and influence in as many peoples lives as possible but I don't want to be remembered directly. Remembering dead people has done me more harm than good and I don't want to inflict that on anybody.

Initially by a few would be nice but I'm really not going to be in a position to comment 🙂

Not so much that I care about being remembered, so to answer your question, no I don't. However, I do write a lot. Since I have moved and have no relatives, I figure the day will come when my grandkids and their kids etc eventually will wonder about their background. They will have plenty of stuff to entertain themselves for a while and get a better idea about while they are at it. Those stories will help them see who they are much better than just being something for them to remember me.... Oh yes, they will learn how I was Nobody too ??

Eventually everyone will forget anyway so it makes no difference to me.

I know for sure I will be remembered by many, but it is of no importance to me as I suspect those concerned have, by worrying about it, self esteem issues, but I am not that arrogant by suggesting for a moment, that I am supremely confident and well centred.

Hell yeah!

Your posting expression goes perfect with your pic !! Well done !! You may be remembered for this one ?

I like the Epicurean epitaph:
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo"
(I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care)

Athos Level 5 May 12, 2018

I care to pass on my family stories. ...my daughters have clear minds without the degeneration of faiths to pass on such stories and mine. ....not a grandpa yet but my more recent lovers value "living memory" ....America is a racist melting pot so more distinct stories from my Dutch grandfather neither fit in my childhood wooden shoes nor the Dutch language he never taught me but did speak with Teddy Roosevelt in South Dakota. ....sharing memories now is how we all can be remembered into the future. ....I have Atheist forebears and I do delete faith obsessions that other believers in my family wanted me to follow. ....our science and skills define us better than preacher echoes

Of course, I want to be remembered by my daughter and other people I love.

For 14 years, I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school. I help students write essays for college entry and scholarship applications. My best success story is Brenda, who won $269,755 in scholarships and grants in 2016. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

I hope they "pay it forward" by volunteering to help people in need. The first girl I mentored, Yuliya, is a civil engineer at Puget Sound Shipyards. These are remarkable young people. They are becoming medical doctors, teachers, nurses and more.

Being a college mentor is the most rewarding volunteer I have ever done.

I volunteer with the Clemente Project to lift the poor into the classics and both my daughters pay it forward. ...my librarian is 43 and my green engineer is 24. ....both women are the leaders in their families and my 2 son in laws are the luckiest guys on earth

Nooo I'd be dead..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.