Agnostic.com

90 13

Do you care if you are remembered when you die?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I do.

No... its all an illusion Jewel. Make the best of your life.

I really don't care. I hope that I live a life of honor and integrity, and perhaps, someone will benefit from my life, but, eventually, no one will remember my name, so I'm not concerned about it.

Meaning, I guess I care now. I'm not dead yet so I don't know if I'll care then.

I hope my friends and family remember the good times that we shared together.

More concerned about while I am alive.

No.

Coldo Level 8 May 12, 2018

Yes. I like the Coco notion, that the final death is when you are no longer remembered by your loved ones.

I won't mind one bit, because I'll be dead.

Self as an individual body is a fragile and tenuous thing. There was a time before I was born, so why should I expect to be immortal? There is nothing about the individual self worth immortality.

I lean toward thinking that self as individual is just an illusion anyway. What is immortal is deep conscious awareness. Our true and higher self is immortal by default.

I want to be forgotten, and luckily, I will be.

I have a box full of old love letters and other mementos that I'd like to be buried with (even if I'm cremated, it's not a large box). My foolish hope is that some future archaeologist will dig me up, decipher the notes, and be like "for a brief time, this creature was loved and mattered to others of its species." It's dumb and impossible, but it's a daydream I have anyway

I want to live long enough to build a wealth of good memories for my grandson, other than that it doesn’t matter.

All the good comments are taken. Will that stop me from leaving my own? haha. Have you MET me? So I care now that I will be remembered when I die, and I assume I will be because I have a lot of kids and grandkids and stuff. But eventually I'll be forgotten as most people are.

The nice part is, as soon as I die, I won't care anymore, so it hardly matters.

no i will be dead

I won't be, ultimately no one will.

Yes - I care - but after I die I can't care and so I'm conflicted 🙂. Before the Internet - when I took on the task of researching my family history I visited city hall, I visited the office of vital statistics and I visited cemeteries. On one such visit, I had the hardest time finding the only grave I went there to find. With the help of the grounds keeper I eventually located the spot - I had walked passed it several times. The reason I had missed it was because the stone sank into the ground hiding the names. And I remember thinking at the time - "the people buried here have seven surviving kids and a ton of grandchildren and great grandchildren". "No one cared enough to pay a visit and in the process fix this"? While that rattled around in my brain I had an opportunity to talk to a wise cousin of mine. I asked her how she would feel (if she had a way of knowing) that her grave was not maintained or visited. She simply said "great - it means they're moving on rather than looking back". That has since come to be my view - I see gravestones as an archaic practice and when it's my time I've chosen to have a natural burial i.e., ain't no one gonna be able to find my bones - there's no spot to pray at or reminisce and that's how it should be.

Not really. Once I'm gone I'm gone.

Do I care now (whilst alive)? Not really.

Will I care when dead? I hope not. Because if I do, I've made an awful boo-boo.

I hope I am remembered by my few friends!

No!

Any way the wind blows, doesnt really matter to me.

I'd rather people forget my personal life, with all its foibles. However, I would like to leave some writings that could help make the future better than the present....

Nope, why should.I if I am not here to reap the benefit or not ??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.