Agnostic.com

59 12

Did something bad that happened to you as a child turn you away from religion

When I was in my 20's I was looking for answers about my life and why I never seemed to be at peace. I talked to preachers and anyone that would talk to me about the dark reality of human nature (Why seemingly decent people could hurt children for example) one preacher I spoke with about my disbelief asked me right off the bat "if I had been molested as a kid" I told him yes and he immediately said that was the reason I turned my back on God. He was wrong but I never forgot his way of thinking..ive heard it in different ways from others since then..i don't believe it and never will. I was already aware to some extent of the problems I had with a god before. My first memories are of sunday school lessons and my doubt. So to answer my own question- I do not believe that my rough childhood lead me to turn my back on religion but it did lead to the critical thinking at a young age that ultimately lead me to what I feel is the truth (That there is no god) I can be a loving caring person without God and probably more so..so how did any bad experiences lead you to your ultimate truth?

River-david 5 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was born a catholic and we had some not so nice nuns and a very arrogant bishop where I came from. Not that I had to suffer from it. For me common sense tells one that there cannot be a god as it says in the bible.

Yes and no. I was psychologically abused for sure with the restrictions like never even talking 1 on 1 with a girl until late twenties. Also berated and almost kicked out of house at 17 for "sinfulness".
However, what did it for me was loneliness. I had no friends because the church we went to was so small; and i started to doubt how a perfectly logical and self evident truth could be so devoid of people following it. Then internet provided me with all the truth/answers i had been looking for.

Boredom happened.

I believe at a very young age, I realized that adults used religious doctrine for selfish reasons. Raised Roman Catholic in a Cajun french community, I experienced the restrictions on females, distorting biblical teachings to control groups and often the sheer impractically of some of the rules..ex. not eating meat on Friday. Lol good for chickens
Maybe...I just don't buy the man made God with all the different flavors of the month. More inclines to go with native Indians evaluation of our place in nature. Respect and kindness

Yes religion itself is that bad thing that made me turn away run away fight to stay away from the bigotry of faiths. ...age 5 I hated the Santa Claus lies, Ishtar boy bunny laying candy eggs on digshit lawns and alleged vaginal virgins birthing alleged baby gods in dirty donkey stables LIES HELL THREATS HEAVEN BRIBES my dead cat not allowed into heaven when she was run over by an xian car. ....fuck faiths. ...jail theocrats. ...quit prEying to the flag. ...for decades I cut out the gibberish sound gawd from my IN (empty hole) WE TRUST money scratch the lie off my coins

None.

Lied to since birth. Beaten in the name of religion. Even had a fanatic make it a joke about beating me, all in the name of religion. Also was offered $500 by said fanatic to run away from home. Fanatic would regularly steal from me. My mother turned a blind eye and ignored the actions of the fanatic she married.

That's awful. My sympathies.

I was born.

My family growing up was one of "devout" atheism. There have been changes along the way. But I remain 100% atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.