Agnostic.com

9 1

Dating a believer

The title pretty much sums it up, but to be clear: Would you enter into a long term relationship with someone who identified as a believer? If so, what level of belief/devotion would you be comfortable around every day?

Ultimately, my question is this: how much of an effect does someone's religious beliefs have on your level of attraction toward them?

eddieg 3 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tried, it didnt worked at all. Using fairytales as a cover for own decisions is just weird

Not interested in dating a believer.

What could be so wrong about dating a believer? 16 years later we are best friends.

Wouldn't bother me particularly providing they don't want to drag my arse to church. If god was there thing and it didn't intrude on 'us' then it's no worse than having knitting as a hobby, I wouldn't do that either 🙂

I honestly don't care how religious my partners are, as long as they're fine with my open atheism, and don't expect that we'll ever debate the subject. My ex is a believer, raised Catholic, Mary and all that, and we never had an issue with it in 19 years. She knew I thought it was stupid, and we never discussed it much, unless priests were in the news or whatever.

Run.

....to be fair, I've tried, excessively. You're always 'lost' to a degree; the slowly rising to an issue is in what's bluntly talked about or not, and so long as you disbelieve (and the believer believes) you both know where the believer thinks you're headed. That's a near impossible place to build intimacy from, where instead, what's found is pity, fear, and resentment.

I couldn’t. I feel like a real believer doesn’t exist in the same reality I do- but a lazy believer makes me think they lack conviction. ?

Amber Level 4 May 13, 2018

I couldn’t. I feel like a real believer doesn’t exist in the same reality I do- but a lazy believer makes me think they lack conviction. ?

Amber Level 4 May 13, 2018

I can be friends with believers.But when it comes to a more intimate relationship, it has to be a nonbeliever. If I'm going to be around someone that much and that closely, the subject will come up and I'd rather be on the same page on that subject.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.