Agnostic.com

11 2

I say "bless you" automatically when someone sneezes. Do you do the same?

MyLiege 7 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say "Gesundheit". Also, I get very annoyed when sales clerks tell me to "have a blessed day", arghhh.

Yeah, that happens a lot, but I just return the sentiment but otherwise I can sound like a cynical witch.

Yeah I used to care what I sound like...not a problem anymore.

God Bless you-old habits die hard.

I do it too but more so out of habit, rather than by the actually meaning. I've tried saying "excuse you" but found it to sound passive aggressive sometimes haha

Habit as well. 😉

I tell them to shut up.

More "f*ck you" than "bless you" then. I like it 😉

Every once and awhile. But the whole practice of saying anything is pretty odd, especially when you consider the origins.

clea Level 4 Dec 13, 2017

Very true.

I also say "bless you", but not god bless you.

Nope.

I would not be too concerned about it. There are a lot of phrases and words in our vernacular that had religious origins, but many/most of them no longer really carry any religious significance.

Well when I do it, I usually just say, “Excuse me.” Lol when someone else do I usually say,” Excuse you.” They usually respond by saying,” Thank you.” Every once in a while I will get someone that will say,” You don’t believe in saying bless you.”

Yes I do...lol

If it's a female that I would like to have a conversation with I will say it and then I will start talking to them about the origins of that saying. If they already know the origins we can have further conversation and if they don't we can still talk further. I don't even think about saying anything if a man sneezes.

I say 'gesunheit', which sometimes prompts an inquiry, my explanation, and a juvenile response from them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.