Agnostic.com

36 4

You get to create a national holiday for non-believers, what would it be?

The government decides to be inclusive and asks you to create a new holiday for non-believers.

What's it called? What date will it be? And, what is a holiday tradition?

silvereyes 8 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We already consider the Winter Solstice as our winter season holiday. It is based on facts. We always have a bonfire. There could be drinking and partying around the world. Both a national and world holiday. What more could you want?

National Day of Humanity. July 3rd. Random acts of kindness.

Reality Day

We don't need a Holiday... We got All Year!!!!

May the Fourth....
Be with you!
Of course!
????

Festavus is for the rest of us!

Joyce Level 2 Dec 18, 2017

Festivus, definitely
See the Seinfeld show for specifics

I will wrestle you for gifts!!!!

Lets Drink Beer Day

Moses Level 2 Dec 14, 2017

Skyvale day Dec 25 Bring back the light of day for yule

The date would be October 15, the Ides of October(?). It would be called National Day of Reason.

"Freedom FROM Religion Day, December 25th (just to piss off the "War on Christmas"" zanies.) Instead of a yule log cozying up to a fire consisting of stolen religious paraphernalia secreted from churches including crucifixes, bibles, hymnals and anything you can grab out of the hands of door to door missionaries before you slam the door in their faces.

How about we all just agree that my birthday is a special day and agree to all eat our favorite desserts together.

The Day of Triumph (January 24th) On this day we celebrate all the “beyond natural” achievements and plans and hopes for the next year. This includes every new technology from tires and bridges to cell phones and video games as well as pure science and math. 01/24 is chosen for its binary progression which is important n how we develop and in computing.

Noodle Day (Pastafarians). Has to be in March because there are no holidays the first part of the year and I always need a break by then.
We'd wear colanders on our heads and partake in baby eating (joking)

It would be called, " DO YOU THING DAY". Whatever your "thing" is you get to do it for an entire twenty four hours, for free!! As long as it doesn't hurt anyone or infringe on anyones rights. We give billions to foreign goverments, lets set aside some of that money and give everyone a "voucher" to "do their thing". I would eat pie the whole day!! I know, I KNOW....Its not very plausible but who wouldnt want a "golden ticket" and the tour. For just one day!!

It would be on April 15th. Just for kicks!!

Festivus---A holiday for the rest of us!!!!! Gotta love Frank Kostanza!!

MattW Level 6 Dec 13, 2017

Heathen Appreciation Day, when nonbelievers get the day off at double pay. And to qualify employees must publicly renounce all religion and faith.

National Critical Thinking Day, essentially re-brand April Fools (or select a different day).

April Fools is the only day no one seems to take "news" or "ideas" at face value...

John Lennon Day, Dec.8. Just imagine............

Reality Day.

I like that... great answer! I wish i would of thought of it...lol. Your shining!!!!

No. I resist all forms of that kind of stuff. Going to athiest church on sunday, joining athiest clubs. Its too much like St. Larry's Day or something. Each day should be a joy.

Naturists Day. A day where clothing is (mostly) optional.

The day would be filled with skinny dips, naked marches (walks), naked runs and naked bike rides. It is a day of body acceptance instead of "body shame".

The primary rule is that naked people cannot be doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else. A day of Platonic nude recreation.

Clothing would only be required in instances where hygiene and sanitation are a concern.

It's my day. I get to pick the date. I think August 1st, would be a good one.

@snytiger6 : too cold here! You need October — spring here, autumn there. (Or April).

@Coffeo OK. Below the equator put it near the summer solstice there.

I'd like to see a year of 13 months of 28 days each. That's a total of 364 days. The 365th day would be a national holiday called NEW YEARS DAY. And every four years the 366th day would also be a national holiday called LEAP YEAR DAY. Both these days would have no number and not belong to any month.

With those days having no number or belonging to a month, wouldn't that complicate essential workers like hospitals, ambulances, lab work, firefighters, and law enforcement to name a few? I can imagine scheduling shifts, split-shifts, and pay discrepancies.

I do like the idea though but I think they may need assigned days. 🙂

Yes Betpaq. That's correct. In the real world such a calender would be inpractical. My comments are actually a 'thought play' rather than being realistic. However , not many people realise that we actually use a 13 month year. Check out any pay office schedule or other office / business schedules. There are exactly 26 pay fortnights in a year. (26 X 14 days = 364 )

Free Thinker Day
June 1st
Annual Parade

Runs into Gay Pride celebrations. But that would be a great combination event!

Sorry forgot it was in June

Carl sagan day... what a blast that would be. Well, we could celebrate his birthday and his death. Celebrate it on Friday the 13th. ..lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8100
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.