Agnostic.com

14 2

How often are you asked what church you attend? Follow up: What state do you live in?

cercatrova 6 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in NH-no one really asks me that. People who have known me for years assume I am still Jewish.

I get that from time to time but not since I got divorced. I used to say I was "Methapalian" since I grew up in the Methodist church and the wife was Episcopal. I had a lot of fun with that! I'm in TX.

Very rarely - they know better.

Ever since I have lived in WA and OR, in the Portland/Vancouver are, nobody has ever asked me that.

Portland, Oregon has the lowest church attendance of any major city in the U.S.... or at least has the most people who admit to not attending church.

I live in NY and I was never asked such question.

I grew up in Ireland, so since nearly everybody was catholic, nobody asked, just presumed. Now I am in the UK, I don’t think I’ve ever been asked

I have lived in many places I now am in New Mexico that question does not come up that often nor did it in California. It did a few times in Pennsylvania. When I was in South Carolina it seemed a daily question.

Colorado and no one asks me that.

Colorado Springs is the most metropolitan city in the state even above Denver due to its transient population, so that does not surprise me. I live in the Florence/Canon City area that is likely to be one of the most religious areas barring Pueblo and simply never get asked the question either. It may be that If religion does come up in the conversation, I fairly quickly mention that I am an atheist.

I have lived in Texas, Virginia, Kansas, and Missouri and no one has ever asked me that.

In my little corner of New Mexico, one would assume that would be a common question, but it has come up only twice in twenty years.

Most people I know who might be religous don't advertise it. they're working people, wife husband mother father friend daughter son etc who go to church on Sunday doesn't lessen it they just don't shove it in your face. talk to them for a month it might not even come up.
i'm in Texas. one of the worst depending on where you live. I am inbetwen Corner Stone led by a fat bloated racist homophobe Hagee and Houston with charliton fraud milltionaire Osteen

I used to get asked that a lot when I lived in the South. I've been here in Washington State since 2003 and I very rarely get asked that here. The Pacific Northwest is one of the least church affiliated regions of the country, which is one of the many things I love about living here.

never and none

I have lived in Kentucky, Indiana, Maine, Utah, Arizona ALabama and New Mexico. THe only state that question came up was in ALabama. Being churched as super important there. I answered Catholic since I was raised such (weak moment) I then realized it may have been better to say none since they view Catholics as the spawn of Satan. THe questions were almost daily accompanied by discussion about conversion

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.