Agnostic.com

51 3

Should I baptize my kids to appease my mom?

My mother keeps complaining that my kids arent baptised. i just tell her that if they want to do it when they get older then ill do it. but she insist that it happen now...
what would you do?

Yvette77 3 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mom baptized my oldest in the kitchen sink while we weren't looking. Every Catholic knows how. I don't know about the other two; we guffawed so much over the first that she may have kept quiet thereafter.

NO WAY! Water is diseased. Plus there is no evidence that drowning your spawn in water helps them in the future. tell your mum she is bonkers and to stay out of your way and let you raise your kids the way you want and if your kids want to be drowned in magic water later in life they have that choice. They made a choice for their own life.

Of course not, you may respect your parents, but that doesn't mean that they have the right to force you to make decisions against your will. Complaining for her is a way to influence you. Actually, it means violation of the fact that they raised you as a conscious person. They try to invade your personality.

Gert Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

I Wholeheartedly agree!

My mom didnt baptize us either for the same reason some ppl accept that as devil worshipping which was hard to fend off as a kid but no I didnt baptize mine n encourage them to find their own beliefs. Im atheist their dad is Catholic. Theyve both turned to atheism... no one should be forced to choose a religion without their own research

No! My ex's gma made me swear I would baptize my kids before she died against my beliefs. I looked into it but it didnt happen. I feel bad I didnt do it but at the same time im glad I didnt do it. Im sick of the connotation that im a bad person for not being baptised n I'm glad it's becoming more common. Baptism is just another forced religious aspect n im sick of following that line.

Dn't feel bad. What she did was morally blackmailing you. Don't allow her have a moral power over you. Forced promises are never entitled to have moral power.

My two kids were baptized, not as babies, but they were still quite young. I wasn't altogether happy about it, but yielded to pressure. It hasn't done them any harm. One's an atheist now. The other — well, I'm not really sure, but she's not strongly religious, anyway. Probably a 'weak theist' on the Dawkins scale.

To thing own self be true

My kids my choice. You can't be bullied by religion, that's how they work. Nip it in the bud. She will always tell them they are saved and use it to propogate the lies. Thats how they work. Brainwashing children is easy, that's what needs to stop. Letting them decide for themselves is the only fair thing for the children. Why do you think all muslim children are muslim, and on and on.

This kind of browbeating is why some many people are religious in the first place. If you go along with something you don’t agree with, you’re part of the problem.

As a mom and grandma myself I understand this is a tough one. I imagine as a daughter you want to show your mother respect, and prevent things that hurt or upset her, which is admirable! That said, your choices as their mother should always be respected as the final decision. In my opinion a baptism is meaningless if the intent is not to raise your children in the belief system that requires this, so it would serve no purpose other than to falsely appease your mom. Not a great family dynamic you want to perpetuate regarding important issues. I think the healthiest action is for everyone to agree to disagree, or this push pull will cause continual unnecessary strife in an already difficult world to raise children in.

I think that sort of remote indoctrination is part of the problem, IMHO.

Robb Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

Dear Yvette, our non-belief puts us in what feels like a safe place. You mom doesn't have that from any "place" other than religious belief. It will NOT hurt your child to be baptized, and will give your mother great comfort. It takes strength to go along with this, but we here have that strength, and empathy. Know this: I was taken to bible school throughout childhood, while getting an education in reason and science at public school. One Sunday, sitting respectfully in the pew at age eleven, listening to Reverend Weatherly's sermon, it popped into my head "this isn't true!", and I knew instantly it was like Santa Claus. I went through baptism after that, knowing it was done for form's sake, and to make others comfortable. Awareness, empathy, and genuine self-confidence are what makes us strong.

NO WAY...!!!!!!! Grow a spine and teach your children the truth. never compromise and stay logical and sane.

I know it's difficult to say no because she's family and you love her and don't want to upset her, but they're your kids and it's your decision. You can't live your life for others or by their values. Be true to yourself, and live authentically.

No, do not. Your kids might look back on their forced baptism as being a part of their identity, and that could cause them to turn to religion later in life. It's best, once the kids are of a mature age like 14 or 15, to let them decide on their own whether or not they want to be religious. As a moral person, you should let the kid get a baptism before they become an adult if they so wish, but you should not force a helpless baby to get a baptism, because, like I said, this forced ceremony could become a part of their identity later in life. Also, choose to be an individual whose beliefs have just as much legitimacy as any Christian's. They are your kids. Honestly, religion is a burden, so each child that is raised without it is a hope for the world. However, I would also like to point out that "no religion" does not mean "no values". You must raise your kids with structure and some level of moral boundaries besides their age, or else as soon as they are an adult (or even before) they could turn to a life of immorality, addiction, and misery. When they are an adult you can't be afraid of exerting some form of disapproval over any of their choices that you view as immoral and counterproductive in life, despite them being an adult. You are freeing your kids from a forced indoctrination of religion, but you are still their parent and must teach and expect things of them; shame is a forgotten virtue in today's world.

My kids were raised w out god n they're both very successful. God is a creature instilled for fear to live life w out "sin." So many Christians have faulted their expectations. Who needs this bs god to rule lives??? Im a btr parent than he'll ever be.

Ditto, Craig Peterson, well spoken! As long as the child is young enough not to develop any lasting memory of the ceremonial ablution I wouldn't make a big deal about it. You'd let them be a flower-child or ring-bearer in a dear friend's church wedding ceremony, wouldn't you? I allowed my kids to be baptized in our home by their maternal grandfather, who happened to be a very non-judgmental Episcopal Priest. I wed his daughter before a priest but in an orchard behind the church by torchlight (most fun wedding I've ever attended) because I wouldn't enter a church for 18 years after my best buddy was killed in my place in Vietnam. Ceremonies are not what affect us, the good examples of family are.

Theres no such thing as a non judgmental... she wanted u to baptize n so u did

She cannot force you. Stick to your resolve lest it send the wrong message to your children. Every time she brings it up is another oppty to reason with her.

We did not raise our two kids with religion except the xmas and easter were celebrated with gifts and candy. No christ rising from the dead. So my daughter meets a guy becomes a christian and baptises our grandson. I just try to ignore the whole deal.I really feel she caved to keep the guy to get married.

I don't think it's a bad thing that she turned Christian. It's all a matter of probability. Atheism is spreading, but so too is immorality. As a nonreligious parent you must be able to teach kids to be individuals who process emotions without the need for religion. But you must also teach them to find happiness and fulfillment in life through structure and morality. You didn't force a religion on her, but apparently she felt something was missing in her life without religion. Religion is more about feeling good than anything else.

I think it is up to you 🙂 It is just a meaningless ceremony but if your mom is religious and it would make her happy then I would go ahead and do it, Besides the fact that Baptismals are considered a valid form of Identification so that is always good to have, Oh and the gifts of course 🙂 I don't see any downsides to it 🙂

Stand firm on your statement that you made. Let the children decide when they're a bit older. Even though your mother raised you, she should recognize that you're going to raise your children how you see best.

Since Baptism is a public advertisement that a person is a Christian and does not make you a Christian, you need to let your children decide and not you or other relatives.

Parents have always decided the religion of their children. They should have the opportunity to decide for themselves.

Well according to scripture Deuteronomy 23:2.....LOL if they were born out of wedlock they are not eligible for heaven anyway. Not saying that you kids were I just read that today and thought it was funny. Again according to "scripture" simply believing in Jesus will not get you into heaven. There is a whole laundry list of things that must be done to get you there.

I did, for my daughter's grandparents on her father's side. I found no harm in it. She was 9 mo old and had no knowledge of what was going on. And I don't believe in any type of religious ritual, so it made no difference to me. Made them happy and they know not to ask for anything more. If they tried to take my kid to church or CCD or indoctrinate her in any way then yes, I'd have an issue and put a stop to it. Also, If my daughter was over two years of age I wouldn't have done it.

No u should baptised becouse thats right.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:814
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.