Agnostic.com

8 4

Making the Drug Unneccessary

Religion is the Opium of the Masses. The exploited poor will stick with religion because it's the only thing they have. To reduce religion and its harmful effects, shouldn't we therefore work for social justice? This would take the need for religion away!

Krish55 8 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Excellent point, Krish!

Social Justice is a good Idea and will help. Religion is very complex and will take a combination of approaches to make a difference. I think education is one of them.

Many people are afraid of dying. They can't imagine a world without themselves in it. But religion gives them a false hope that if they die they will live again in Heaven. Unfortunately Atheists cannot promise an afterlife.

I agree that religion is used as a crutch for the poor. But it is also used by financially secure people to feel safe existentially.... free ticket to heaven. And step right up and have God cure your disease, get your child off drugs, whatever...
And religion is used to justify the greed and/or ignorance of people of all income levels that would turn their back on the problem of climate change. Many of them say not to worry about it....God will take take of it for us. EEEEEK !!!

I think new social doctrines will just arise from how we evolve as a culture.
Not many Americans have to question the fact of Greek gods... or Pagan practices.

Working on helping the oppressed is a great first start.

what we should and could do are worlds apart from what we will do.

Social justice, economic stability, free education, and economic equilibrium would all be useful to serve that purpose.

JimG Level 8 May 14, 2018

You hit the nail on the head!

Concrete boons always trump the empty promises of religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:81447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.