Agnostic.com

16 5

Can anybody ever remember being told not to read the Old Testament of the Bible?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not me. That's what I was raised on. The NT was primarily for protestants when I was a kid.

My dad read me the real OT as bedtime reading. Scared the hell out of me, made me despise god as a thug. First big step on my way to agnosticism.

yes, lol. I guess bc "the blind lead the blind" is in that part? lol

Hahaha!

I don't recall that ever being said... I do know that when I was reading the bible and asking questions I was viewed differently and basically ostracized for pointing out things that seemed odd to me and things that seemed impossible or contradictory to me... It makes sense, though, because my reading the bible was definitely the genesis of my questioning, and eventual rejection, of . #seewhatIdidthere LOL

Kind of.... I was told it was just stories leading up to the new testament. That's the way to go now.

But to my knowledge, the New Testament doesn’t correct anything from the Old Testament. So the OT still stands also because that’s where the Ten Commandments are.

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t even think Jesus was against slavery plus he called a gentile a dog when she called out to him cause her daughter was demon possessed. Correct me if I’m wrong about any of this, though.

@EmeraldJewel you are correct, Jesus said obey your masters even if they are bad. But I’m not familiar with the second part about the dog and the daughter was demon possessed. Lol but I think The New Testament is even worse because of no corrections to the old, then they added a hell. The OT didn’t mention anything about a hell or an afterlife, but Christians will find something close enough and just make it mean something different so that there is an afterlife.

@Lancinator here is a video I found. Talking about Jesus calling a woman a dog and if I’m not mistaken, was implied he also didn’t come for gentiles, but only his Chosen People.

No, but I remember TRYING to read Revelations and how ridiculous and scary they tried to make it.

IKR!

The only one that i got off on was song of solomon.

Not that I recall. When believed in bs they pushed the new one.

Oh, yes, as a Catholic in the 60's, reading the Bible was not encouraged.

Ive never read any of it, old or new.
Never saw a reason to.

Not in any church I went to as a kid, they read the OT just as much as the NT. Sometimes more, if memory serves.

Yes RE teacher we don't follow that part of the bible anymore just read the new bit he was a priest who hated me asking why we had to have faith lol his answer cos we had to ...but why ?

I've even been told I'm not supposed to read the bible on my own.

NOPE

I was raised Jewish but never bothered to read the Torah( the Old Testament to Christians). Now that I hear what is in it=oy! Very derogatory things about women, slavery and discrimination of disabled people among other things. My secular parents celebrated a few holidays for Jews but this book was not discussed. The rabbi in my religious school turned out to be an atheist I learned years later.

i'm jewish (atheist, though). for a jew, there is no old testament. there's just the bible. it's a mixed bag at best and the only part i can imagine taking literally is the begatting chapter, since it's so boring, no one could've made it up to teach anyone anything. that doesn't mean i do take it literally; it just means nothing else lends itself at ALL to literal interpretation. anyway, so no, even had i been raised religiously, i would not have been told not to read the old testament because there's no such thing. i didn't have to be told not to read the christian bible; it was never of any interest to me. but my folks never forbade me to read anything. my mom did get a bit worried that i was reading grownup stuff at the age of eight, so she did give me some bobbsey twins and nancy drew, but they just weren't my thing. i don't remember anything at all from my dutiful reading of the former, but from nancy drew, the one book i read (the secret of larkspur lane) i learned that the larkspur is a blue flower, that amber is both a color and a substance, that some people believe in reincarnation (of which i had not previously heard) and that some people believe that a magic substance can bring the dead back to life. the "some people believe" bits didn't particularly tempt me into believing those things, myself, but i found it interesting that some people did. i have no idea what my mom would've done or said had she caught me reading the christian bible (theoretically, since, as i have said, i had no interest in it). she probably wouldn't have stopped me, but she might have had some kind of talk with me about it. i'll never know.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82060
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.