Agnostic.com

11 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Goodness this was a nice title to read. Some days it is hard to be of the minority of atheists in the USA.

just another day out trying to get ready for...ah... Hmmmmmm, hard to avoid all this...festivities! Yea, that's it. Maybe one of these days I'll get a pict of my ...festive mug. But maybe not. It... never mind girls...

About time. Think I read that Oregon had a higher percent of "none", or unchurched. If our family is any indication of what is happening, we are going that way. Have 14 grand kids, and none are attending a church.

This is a good thing. As we mix with other religions hopefully we will have less wars, religious divides and more peace and harmony in the world.

Within the service area of my local weekly paper the 2nd page obituaries give me hope. Sad, but it’s impossible to envision the youth I encounter anywhere near as religious as the descriptions I’ll read of their ..grandparents.

I suppose it’d be an easy search, but I’ve always felt the US has lagged behind other industrialized or enlightened nations with our slow evolution away from religion.
Anyway, are ‘we’ (around here) ready ready for primetime!

Varn Level 8 Dec 14, 2017

I have been considering opening a coffee shop, very small, for the secular among us. In my community a single table and four chairs would be adequate. I think I shall call it DARWIN'S DONUTS AND DIALOGUE.

That bad in New Mexico..? Folks I’ve met from there have been ..eclectic, but rarely that religious…

@Varn - Largely depends on where you are in the Great State of New Mexico. We are listed as the eighteenth most religious state in the Union, and my town is the capper for the state. There are almost as many churches here as there are people (slight exaggeration). Though my lack of belief has only been an issue here twice in twenty years, there are few truly secular people, and fewer professing to be atheist.

If you open it, tell me... I would fly there just to have a cuppa 🙂

I see in my children and their peers (late 20s to mid 30s) that there is a falling away from religion. We brought the kids up going t church, and they stopped going as soon as they could, except for the one keeping daddy happy. I think there are lots of people looking for a social peer group, and they find it in churches even if they aren't really believers. Maybe that could be an opportunity for secular groups to have a "church" where people can hang out, have coffee, learn about opportunities to help the community, have activities for the children,and go home feeling good.

You’ve hit on so many aspects of religion here, with total accuracy … seems they could be broken into four excellent discussion points.. Perhaps ‘virtual communities’ like ‘this one’ can provide a little of what you’ve described ...though it may not excite daddy 🙂

Yes, Virginia, there is hope!!

Mythology is much cooler than our modern monotheistic religions.

I certainly hope so. Having a populace that can be so easily manipulated into voting for charlatans and opportunists simply because they claim to be fellow believers has brought this country to the brink of ruin.

I agree so much with your comment. It appears there is a correlation between the number of politically active religious believers and politicians appealing to religious beliefs rather than truly important issues such as Medicare being raided by Congress; Supreme Court decisions of "Buckley vs Valeo", "First National Bank of Boston vs Bellotti", "Citizens United vs FEC", "McCutcheon vs FEC"; states spending more money on subsidizing NFL teams instead of drug rehabilitation, mental health facilities, sex trafficking. My fingers are crossed and I going to continue my Agnostic "prayers".

Hence American christianity's last ditch attempt to grab whatever power it can now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8231
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.