Agnostic.com

8 7

LINK The elusive phenomenon of churches without God

You wanted atheist churches, you got them!
Here is an article about this that popped up on my FB feed.
You may need to go incognito to read (it's real short) but does give some insight into what the seeming oxymoron of and atheist church looks like

TheMiddleWay 8 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read through part of it but I think it is wrong to use the word church to describe the group. Even "church like" is not good. Lets come up with a word other than club to describe this. You know something like think tank but better

@atheist I like that

While I understand the need for "community" (that's why I'm here), calling it "church" seems rather counter-intuitive.
People can call it whatever they please, that's their right. However, I have to wonder what
the real motivation for that is.
Are they trying to obtain tax-exempt status? Are they trying to compete with other "churches"? Are they trying to make membership more attractive?
I don't get it. It all just seems rather contradictory to me.

@TheMiddleWay It all made sense. I do agree, too.

Stanislaus Humanists, my local chapter of the AHA, looked into this. Most of us were opposed to the idea because we want to be a community—not a church.

I didn't, I don't and I won't

Just go to a Unitarian they welcome atheists.

This link requires a subscription

I like this idea. I am sure I would at the least visit and try and get feel for what their mission is.

Wtf? Bookmarking!

Sadoi Level 7 May 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.