Agnostic.com

10 1

What's the last good book you've read? Why?

Admin 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Killman Creek (the sequel to Stillhouse Lake) - I just really like good thrillers just as much as any more serious genre, and it was a really good and fun read.

The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams. Ted Williams was a childhood hero of my father. My father passed away, and reading the book reminded me of a lot of the stories my father had told me about him. Also, Ted's mother was a hardcore bible thumper, and Ted was an atheist. That's right, the best hitter who ever lived didn't believe in God.

BD66 Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

Wayne Stinett, The Jesse McDermitt series. Mostly because the main character retires to the Keys to take up charter fishing but gets sucked into espionage. I am also from Florida, the Miami area to be exact and I can picture just about all the areas he writes about.

I recently finished The Boy Who Played with Fusion: Extreme Science, Extreme Parenting, and How to Make a Star, by Tom Clynes. I was a bit jealous of the kid in this book, and all the resources, opportunities and support he got from his parents and other adults as a kid. I told my mom after I finished this one that if I had had that kind of response when I was a kid, I'd be a world renowned archaeologist by now. (Ok, yeah, maybe she was less than thrilled at being reminded of just how much her parenting skills sucked back then, but it's still true.) One can only imagine how amazing modern society could be if everyone, child and adult, had this much support to develop their potential skills and do amazing things. Most people fit themselves to what is expected of them early on, and may never even really think about what they really would love to learn and do.

"The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power is a 2008 book by American journalist Jeff Sharlet. The book investigates the political power of The Family or The Fellowship, a secretive fundamentalist Christian association led by Douglas Coe."
The reason why is my attempt to get an inside view of how religious power in today's political arena

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

One of my all-time favorite books is "the DaVinci Code"

One of my all-time favorite books is "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown. Although a work of fiction, he incorporated enough fact to surprise even a life long atheist like myself. This book enlightened me to the fact that there are a great number of theologists who have researched and formed conclusions on much of the unexplained in the existing bible. I find that very interesting.

An agent of Byzantium- Harry Turtledove.

One punch man vol 3 its action packed and hilarious.

"Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari. It was an interesting, challenging, thought-provoking and profound work about our history as a species and where we might be headed. Recommended to all!

Joe Vitale's "How To Attract Money" simply because that's the one thing missing for so long and at 62 years of age I need tons and tons of money to spend on so many concerns

I'd also suggest: How Social Media Made Me Rich, by Matthew Loop.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.