Agnostic.com

28 5

Just curious: besides the Internet, what other ways have you met people you've dated or been involved with?

I know people also meet through friends/relatives, work, school, or common interests -- I mean, obviously people have gotten together way before the Internet was even an idea -- but if you could, be specific.

bleurowz 8 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The coffee shop, while I was at the mall with friends and the library.

Ive never met an internet person in real life.
Tried a few times - no one shows.
Bands & theater mostly - was married to a woman I met in a theater production.
When I was younger the bar scene.
A friend's sister.
A student teacher when I was in 11th grade - she got in trouble, but we stayed together for a year or so.

I dated my ex-husband's college roommate. We met when Terry took me to a music store in Seattle where Willy worked.

"I wanted you to love me, not Terry," Willy said later. He had unrequited love me during my 15-year marriage. "I'm married," I said when Willy tried to tell me how he felt.

When I got divorced. Willy jumped. Willy and I lived together for five years after my divorce.

School beats it all. Had 5 dates from online in the past 18 months. No connection. School was best.

No better place for me than the dance floor. Half a century with same Modus Operandi and you want me to change?

Modus operandi...

I knew my first romantic interest from growing up together as MKs (missionary kids) in Haiti, dance partner at a ballroom dance, newspaper classified ad, neighbor, bar, dating club, friend of my family, high school friend.

every day life

Never dated anyone I had met on the internet, only those I had met in person. I have met women at social functions such as parties, local carnivals, shooting ranges, bowling alley just to name a few.

Usually through work, which can be a good thing or bad thing I suppose. You get to know each other a little bit first just by being at work with them and if you like each other you always have an excuse to see each other. On the other hand, it can get awkward if it doesn't work out.

One at a job, which is impressive because of my field. The rest I met out in the real world. Never hooked up with someone from the internet.

Deemo Level 4 May 17, 2018

I held a chess night. These things were always stag (women have got better things to do with their time). But Lee brings this lady. They werent dating she just needed somewhere to be. So there was an odd number of us playing chess so it meant that one guy would sit out whilst the others played.That gave Julie someone to talk to on rotation. She was in hiding from her guy. She had asked him to get out but he was abusive. The best thing she could think of was to disappear. At that point it was 2 weeks MOI or AWOl. So the chess night ended but she stayed and talked. Boy did she talk. I said Im going to bed and she could have the sofa or join me. She choose the sofa but came to bed claiming that my clock was too loud to sleep over. She talked some more... I think it must have been over 18 hours of her talking, I swear she was talking in her sleep. We woke and she talked some more. It was afternoon by the time she ran out of breath and we made love.
That over 20 years ago. We were together for 15 of them and she is still my best friend.

An epilogue; The next night she goes home to confront her soon to be ex. I get a distraught phone call. He has been really abusive yet again. Julie is in tears and she is a very strong and not a tearful woman. He has left now but goodness knows what will happen next. As I drove over to hers, I see the guy walking down the street. I pull over and punch his lights out. I had not hit anyone since school but all my frustration and importance gathered over the years of listening to woman who had suffered at the hands of bastards like this boiled over and I could not help myself. I left him on the floor and went to her.
I guess I did not know it yet but I was in love

That's a bit sad, that she had to hide to escape an abusive relationship.

Blind date with the brother of a friend in my aerobics class. It was nice, but we didn't happen to click. I did feel a bit safe since I knew a little about him.

Student - Teacher

IAS1 Level 5 May 17, 2018

If I see someone I’m really attracted to I may go and talk to her, no matter where I am: in a shop, walking along in the street etc

KenG Level 6 May 17, 2018

You're brave!

@Ellatynemouth Never had a bad response. Some have ignored me and walked away, but met my last but one girlfriend in a shop.

Good for you! I've flashed a smile a few times but haven't been brave enough to initiate conversation. I'm currently crushing on the UPS guy who delivers to my work. I get so flustered when he comes in that I still haven't had the wherewith-all to see if he wears a wedding ring.

I have met people through mutual interest groups through Meetup and other social groups. I ran a photography group for a few years, now I run an independent film group.

dah bah

The gym.

Theatre, Karaoke, business networking, life. 🙂

lol my ex was a plumber who unplugged my toilet in the apartment I rented. Talk about romantic, huh?

That's kinda funny!

@Marcie1974 we thought so, too! that weekend we took his motorcycle to the mountains overlooking an artist colony and made burgers over a fire under the stars and I mean stars, like I'd never seen the sky before, free from light.
hahaha love life's twist and turns. He was my son's father. It ended well!

@crazycurlz that’s awesome! Glad that if it had to end, that it ended well

You don't want to know....

Local Sierra Club hikes and other activities.

Work. Pshh, yes, I’m lame.

At the gym, being introduced by a 3rd party, in line at the deli counter, at work, walking down the street in Philadelphia. Disclaimer here is that I'm still single and unattached but then your question was about meeting and not longevity LOL

Hmmm... close to how it was with me.

@BucketlistBob Hahaaa yeah it is a sad state of affairs

@AmelieMatisse. Awww... your cute... you should have no problems having fun dating.

@BucketlistBob besides being geographically undesirable and still employed besides living in Central PA it is not easy

@AmelieMatisse. I think its just around the corner for you.

@BucketlistBob are you a prognosticator, bookie, or an astrologer, or perhaps a tarot reader LOL

@AmelieMatisse. Just a friend with a positive perspective towards an observation. And why not a good thing happening to you?

You will find out...

First wife I met at my dentist, she cleaned my teeth. Second wife I stole from my roommate!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83209
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.