Agnostic.com

12 4

What are your views on Sophia.

I mean both the concept of AI & the Singularity and the robot herself.

El-loco 7 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

THIS MAY ANSWER SOME OF THE COMMENTS:

Apocalypse (By Marco Denevi,/ Argentinian writer ) 1979

""Ït was during the last years of the 32nd Century when the human race fell into extinction. The manner in which this occurred is described therein: the machines had reached such a high caliber of perfection that mankind was not in need of eating, sleeping, talking, reading, thinking, or of doing anything. It was sufficient enough for them to press a button and the machines would do everything for them. Gradually, everything began to disappear: the Bibles, the works of Leonardo da Vinci,
tables, chairs, roses, the recordings of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony, the antique stores, the wine of Bordeaux, the swallows and orioles, the tapestries of Flanders, all of the compositions of Verdi, the Azaleas, chess, telescopes, the Palace of Versailles, the Gothic cathedrals, football stadiums, the Pieta of Michelangelo, the maps containing the ruins of Trajan’s Imperial Forum, automobiles, rice, the Redwoods, even the Parthenon. Only the machines remained. Afterwards, mankind began to take notice that they were also progressively disappearing while the machines were increasing in numbers. It only took a matter of time for the machines to duplicate themselves. The machines eventually occupied every possible place. One could not pass or move without tripping over them. In the end, mankind was eliminated since the last one forgot to disconnect the machines. We then continued to go on functioning."""

Dan Brown latest book has us all becoming semi robots by 2050. We have artlficial limbs, sight,heart pumps and others types,tissue and organ transplants soon to be mechanical or artificial . Yea for Sophia !!!

I would need to know more. I watched the tonight Shows episode and think that all her responses were programmed. We may solve the race prejudices, by creating human looking robots.Watson is being used in large buildings now. It controls and monitors many of the function. We all know how well Watson did on Jeopardy. They even have sex robots now. My fear is if we create something with rational and logical thought it might find us lacking and decide we should be exterminated.

Skynet

Loren?

I guess nobody picked up the joke.

I think there are more advanced Ai than Sophia. but putting a face to her is good for marketing I don't think she performs more than Siri or Alexa. I might be wrong . just my .02

Ewket Level 4 Dec 15, 2017

She was an awesome Golden Girl 😛

I thought you meant Sophia Loren. I adore her. I don't like robots.

I thought that as well, also my daughter's name is Sophia...so it was weird reading that... 😉

I think it's interesting. However, a part of me wishes all that time, energy, focus and (money?) were spent more on researching, finding cures and/or better treatment options for illnesses.

I'm not sure of Sophia's capabilities, but in general terms, an AI could be used to help those with diminished mental capacity, like dementia. An AI with a human form (a full-blown android) could accomplish this in a way that a simple robotic AI could not. Such an android could also help those with physical limitations or residents of nursing homes. There are many areas within medicine that an androidic AI could be of direct benefit to people in need.

Good points. Will this in-turn decrease the job opportunities within the field for those competing humans?

Based on the stories I've heard, I don't think so. The need for this kind of help is great, but largely unmet. Especially in nursing homes, where the corporations that own these places don't even open enough positions to properly care for the residents.

Also, it would really decrease elderly abuse.

That's cool. Keep on making it smarter.

I think she is little more than a sophisticated toy, she is not an AI at all just a chatbot wrapped in a fancy package with nothing more than scripted responses.

From what I've seen of it, I agree with your assessment.

okay....watched and read....that is going to be interesting...and I think it was always inevitable.

I've been doing my best to only peripherally follow AI...so odd that I am somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to tech, since I bought my first computer in 1982 Apple IIE....I don't even think it had been released mainstream yet...but now, I find myself a passive luddite by modern standards...I just got my first smart phone last month and haven't activated it yet..I have a cell phone because I have to have one....hate it....but now I am going to go check out Sophia. Thanks for bringing it up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8429
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.