Agnostic.com

12 10

Does it break your heart to see loved ones be duped by organized religion?

Sorry for my short rant, but it’s like none of them can’t see passed the stupidity of a lot of it and then when you point out illogical things about it, it’s usually Ad Hoc reasoning. I’m so thankful for this site. I’ve been able to come to it in a time of need when I feel alone as I’m surrounded by nothing but brainwashed people, who can’t be pulled out of their childish delusions.

EmeraldJewel 7 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No - it doesn't break my heart, so much as frustrate me. I know there is a certain level of closeness I will never achieve with them. Though I have to respect their choice to be delusional.

It greatly saddens me when I see anyone being duped by organized religion. Promoting faith (belief without evidence) damages the way a mind interprets reality. As we all share the same society, those with faith (religious) are not only diminishing the value of reality/truth (demonstrable) over superstition for themselves, but for all in society as their actions affect the political outcome and set the laws, education and standards and ways those rules are or are not enforced.

YEs and it causes so much pain/.

My simplest comment about the "devout" is I was one for a looong time. I hope they find their minds before they lose their reason.

Just my opinion of course but I do not believe they are all as deceived as they pretend. There is a lot of control mechanisms in place that make it very difficult for non-believers to speak up or walk out. I was raised as a Mormon and turning my back on religion meant losing EVERYTHING! My friends, family, and lifestyle all had to go. Then I tried to make my own "family" but everyone was "selling" their brand of religion so I ended up in one church after another and never found a place to belong because I do not believe in organized ANYTHING! I have no desire to live my life based on someone else's rules but taking the stand led to a lot of issues and had we lived in Utah, I probably would have had to leave the state just to find a job.
So, instead of trying to show them the error of their ways I now ask them questions about their beliefs and play dumb. I know the bible and the history/times better than most preachers and play with it like a pool shark would. They do not know what happened when they leave because I get them to start wondering about their dogma simply by making it safe for them to speak. I let them think they are dealing with a novice and ask tons of questions they cannot answer. They then go back to church and pose those questions to their elders and boom I got them all wondering things they hadn't thought about before.
A good example is the issue with homosexuality being an "abomination" to God. Ask them to show you where that is written and then ask them if they live according to old testament rules. If they say no then ask where it states it to be a sin in the New Testament then. If they say yes they follow all biblical rules then ask them why women are allowed to go into public during the menstrual cycle because they are biblically forbidden to do so. [biblestudytools.com]
Either way they end up with more questions than answers and do not feel attacked so their defenses are down. Give it a shot. It's actually kind of fun.

Some people need their illusions. Both my parents had pretty shitty parents, I really can't criticize them for needing fairy tales.

Then again, they've both been extremely supportive and loving as we left the faith. I might feel differently if they were assholes.

I know a gay couple who had some relatives show up to protest their wedding last year, I might firebomb hurt someone for that shit

It does, but I realise that my parents and grandparents are just doing the best they can. My Father is a Vetran with severe PTSD and clings to his faith to keep his sanity. I know he went through hell and I can't put that against him.

My Mother has also had a terrible life. Lots of children, an abusive husband, both parents dying of cancer, and on top of that, she's a practicing pagan in our very Christian area. She constantly afraid that my siblings will be ostracized if she doesn't pretend to be a good Christian, and in private clings to her ideas of spirituality that much harder.

At the end of the day when I see my Mother break out the tarrot cards, or my see my Dad's Creation Museum paraphernalia I can't be too upset. I know they're just doing the best they can.

Well, you're not alone now. Glad you're here.

Not really to be honest. After a certain point, an adult (in general) has the intellectual and mental propensity to exercise free and objective thought. People believe in things that defy logic and reason because they want to, for the most part. It disappoints me at times, but I'm not heart broken over it.

If l ever have one l will get back to you with an answer.

No... maybe they'll find the truth. Sometimes being dumped turns out to be the best thing that's ever happened to you.

Lol ikr! It’s so stupid. Let them live in their imagery world.

It's heartbreaking (and maddening) for me to see people I love, people who are ordinarily intelligent, fall for the lie of religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:84918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.