Agnostic.com

16 7

LINK Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck

Nearly 10 percent of those making $100,000 or more say they can't make ends meet. If they can't make it on $100,000 what hope is there for folks making less than half that amount?

HippieChick58 9 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

82% of economic gains from 2017 have gone to top 1%. If anyone doesn't believe this, fact check me please!

I had a woman tell me $50k is barely getting by, I'd estimate their combined income is comfortably over $300k. She couldn't answer how single people we both know survive on $30k.

A lot of people are just stupid with money and it's hard to convince people they're stupid.

most humans live to the maximum of their status [ to westerners " and beyond".] marketers have made that "and beyond " bit a large scale trap of debt and stress

None at all. We all need to learn to be more self-sufficient.

Everyone ( west mostly) MUST to pull back their consumption of everything. WTF does someone need with a 5000 ft2 home? Really? Just cause you CAN afford it doesn't mean you SHOULD afford it.

Ask a republican how to do it.They will tell you stop buying health insurance,food,homes and other non-necessary things.

Income Inequality is the greatest financial threat facing us, at least in my opinion. It always occurs throughout history and it never ends well for anybody, the rich included.

Especially the rich as they have often lost their heads.

I know several people living on $12000/yr

Um ... what's a paycheck?

Metaphorically speaking the deposit that is made to your bank account every 2 weeks or every month. Most people haven't seen a real check from their employer in decades.

@HippieChick58 -- Um ... what's a bank account? Should I have one? What is it for?

@evidentialist No honey, if you have money send it to me and I will take care of it for you.

In my case 10% of that, our food and housing costs are much higher here, we do have a better welfare system though, also education and health are much more easily accessed. But the world I expected when I was younger hasn't eventuated. We have a lot of homeless in my area, many you wouldn't realise during the day, they will still sit outside a coffee shop having a latte but rent is double their income.

It depends a lot on where you live, too. When my wife and I were making over 100,000, I thought we had it made. Nice house, nice vehicles, nice neighborhood. We could do most of the things we wanted. But we lived in a small city, in a generally not-rich part of the country. That's no excuse for the ridiculously low minimum wage, though, no matter where you are. And with CEOs making 400 times the money of their workers, plus all the stock options, etc., it makes me sick.

Would be nice if they'd included demographics with their headline. Situation is a lot different for a family of 5 in New York City than it is for 2 adults in Nowheresville.

Living has gotten harder and harder every year. I live simply to make it so not a huge issue. That said, it is still way more of a struggle than it needs to be. Odd why many here blame the people and not the system.

I'd be in hog heaven to make $30,000 have never reached that in 78 years of working.

My retirement is more than that, but being in CA, I'm relatively poor.

I have never had 100,000 a year. I did have a 401k when I was working, that evaporated when everything crashed, and I was never able to get it back to its current level. I lost my job, retired when I was 69 years old, and now live on less than half what I used to have. I lost my house, when I could not make the payments. I now live in a little house on my daughter's farm. My horse lives here too, which helps. I could not afford to board him. My daughter, son in law and I just share stuff, I help out on the farm, and we have friends we barter with. So, I get by, but I don't have any extra. Thankful for our wonderful vet, who doesn't charge an arm and a leg, and is fine with monthly payments for the big, expensive things with the critters, and the dentist that accepts payments. My tiny savings is depleted, but, I get by.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:85388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.