Agnostic.com

29 3

If you were brain dead and on life support, would you want your family to pull the plug?

If you want, explain your reasons for staying on life support or pulling the plug.

• 0 votes
  • 55 votes
KatieHowie 5 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I said pull the plug not because I care one way or another. I'm dead. I just want them to get on with the grieving process. And not rack up any more debt.

If I'm dead, I'm dead. Kill me and get it over with. Don't pay the health system in this country anymore than they deserve! And, plus, if I'm brain dead then I'm already DEAD!

If I'm brain dead, yeah, pull the plug. That's not me anymore. Even if the brain and body have some minimal functionality, that's not me that's a phantom.

On my to-do list is a write a living will. I do not want to live in such a state and a living will would make that decision easier for my kids. Although my son has told me repeatedly that he would pull the plug himself, because dark humor runs in the family.

Pull it. Brain dead IS dead.

Likely, after being on life-support, my quality of life would be greatly reduced anyway. I wouldn't want to be that kind of burden on the people I love, so I would want them to pull the plug.

Although I've had agreement with my family and very close friends to pull the plug on me a long time ago, it' s still hard for me to imagine getting into that kind of situation.

So many physically healthy people in this planet deserve to have their plugs pulled . . . or even just the rug from under their feet.

My mother had 98% of her brain blown out by a massive stroke. One of my brothers wanted to keep her on life support and the hospital complied! The rest of us convince the hospital to remove the feeding tube, but her body lived on for weeks, they would not give an overdose to let her body die. A shame, and hard on us.

When my mom was dying we put her on morphine which eased her way and it did quicken the process. Totally legal.

When you're brain dead, you're dead. What sense would there be in keeping the body functioning? Pull the plug.

Neither. I'd defer to what most comforts my loved ones, letting them unplug if/when they are ready. I honestly do not worry that it keeps me in purgatory or anything, and, if so, might even be willing to linger there if they need the time.

Zster Level 8 Oct 7, 2017

I've had that chat with my family: if there's nothing happening up top then donate the organs to whoever they fit, cremate the remains, then put them into one of those seedling urns. Said urn should then be buried at some location by a 3rd party and not revealed to the family.

I wouldn't want them to get attached to that tree or freak out if something should happen to that new arrangement of matter.

I think there are some coffins of that design but I'm talking about the urns specifically: [thelivingurn.com]

Already dead basically.

yes do not let me suffer.

If you are brain dead you are dead.

YES

I believe That i should be the one to determine my life and that is why I have legally drawn up papers to state that I did not wish to be kept alive on life support. The legal papers take away the need for a family member to make this decision and I feel this is very important to do.

I would not want to be artificially kept going, I would want to be let go with dignity.

My Healthcare directive leaves the decision to my daughter. She knows I would prefer pull the plug but that she is to do only what sh.e is comfortable with as I won't be in a position to know or care what happens

I am an organ donor, and if there's no chance that I could be revived, I'd want my organs to help others live better and longer.

My mother and I have had this conversation. We both plan on donating our bodies to science; let them harvest what organs they can. We both have DNRs.

My husband and I just had this conversation last week. I'd like for whatever organs I have that actually can be used... to be harvested and then the rest of my body donated to science. BUT, it's up to those who love me as to when they pull the plug. Whatever is easiest for them. Whatever helps them let go. I'm technically dead at that point so it really doesn't matter to me.

Pull the plug. My life insurance is paid up and I've done my job at that point.

Seems like a no-brainer but it can get more complicated for families especially in situations where they think there's some hope of some type of recovery. I worked as a hospice nurse aide for about a year-and-a-half watched a lot of people die in a way it was a good experience. They brought a 7 year old boy to our hospice unit who had drowned they revived him but he had brain damage which doesn't regenerate it just gets worse they had him on a feeding tube his father got that removed and they brought him to hospice. I always thought it was funny when all these religious people were claiming oh you're playing God by pulling the plug but I think not playing God when you pull the plug they're playing God when you keep somebody alive that should have already been dead. This is why it's important to have a living will.

first things first get an eeg

sean Level 3 Dec 20, 2017

Oh man. Ya ever have an itch you can't scratch. Who knows whats going inside you when your laying there. When i quit drinking and started staying up drinking coffee till midnight, i was in trouble. I couldn't fall asleep and was dragging my butt at work. Falling asleep at my desk and at the wheel of my truck was crazy. I started drinking Nyquil. One cap wouldnt do it. I would wake up in the middle of the night moaning and not being able to move any part of my body. Demons were after me and i couldnt move, just moan.... it took awhile till i got things straight with my mind and body. Pull the plug! Please!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:856
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.