Agnostic.com

23 2

Does everybody need somebody to love?

atheist 8 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

not sex offenders

I don't think so. I think a person's firs priority should be to look at themselves and change their lives in such a way that they are happy with who they are and like themselves. People who liek themselves are far more attractive to others than those who don't.

Liking who you are as a persons makes you feel complete, and you dont' feel the need so much for someone to fill in missing aspects of your life. If you do happen to find someone to share your life with, then that is additional happiness to an already happy life.

Only under the above circumstances is the old Chinese proverb completely true. "Sorrow shared is half the sorrow. Joy shared is twice the joy."

hell yes

It depends on your definition of love. My aunt and uncle had completely different backgrounds but got together late in life for mutual conveniences. Unfortunately, they fought so much people didn't want to be around them (most of the time it was my aunts fault and she admitted it - she said she wanted him to know he was not the boss of her). Even though, he was a German, fought as a tank commander in Russia for 4 years and then spent 5 years in a Siberian Gulag he was more peaceful than her. This went on for 35 years! When she died of Pancreatic Cancer he cried like a baby. I couldn't understand this considering how she treated him but he answered he missed her!! I think I could easily do without that kind of LOVE.

At 78 I find that I am very lucky to have a great wife of 57 years ( it was supposed to last only six months---due to religion), two outstanding daughters and son in laws and four fantastic grandchildren. We are a very close family with problems that all share. This has made my life a very happy one in spite of lousy jobs, terrible bosses and other people who I did not like. Along the way I must say I had three very close friends who I could say I loved in some manner.I was very moved when I lost them and a little sad that I have not been able to replace them. From my experience I would say it makes life a lot nicer if you have someone to love.

Yes, I think so, but sadly most people find somebody to posses. Love isn't even in the equation.

You do know that if I love you, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

My point is that if you feel un-loved it is because you don't love. You start by loving yourself.

Music has told us through the Jefferson Airplane "Don't You Want Somebody to Love?", Crosby Stills Nash and Young sang "Love the One You're With" and the great Freddy Mercury and Queen called "Find me Somebody to Love." Musical and film culture has been telling us for years. I think its a personal decision.

I think everyone does but many have no idea what it means to love another. Too, many can not even get to the first step which is to first love yourself.

Yes we are social creatures and need the validation,married men actually live longer than single men,so there must be something in that.Could be they are nagged into heathier lifestyles of course.

.....its for our benefit ....; )

Yes. Ideally, yes. People are supposed to be in relationships. Even beyond the overlay of romance, which is put there by movies. Moreover, children must see adults in positive working, loving relationships if they are to go on and have them themselves.

i think those that say they dont, do. or did in the past, they had a shot at it and missed and gave up. There is lots of that. You see lots of single people that its them, and they buy a house for them with a big yard for their pet for many logical, rational reasons, but the pet won't hold your hand if you get cancer.

Currently, the state of sexual politics is of a character that people on either side are afraid of being hurt, to make a move, for good reason. Very few can keep it real. communicaating by computer has changed everything.

Nah, but your value goes up when somebody loves you. And your value also goes up when you are in love with somebody.

I believe love to part of the human makeup, it is love that allows us to to find beauty in this world. Love builds, hate destroys. In the modern world we live in we define love in to categories, however the connections we make with the natural world is founded upon or defined by love. Love is the essence of life, how we choose to accept love is based on the individual, but we all need love.

No, but it definitely has benefits.

I don't know about need, but I'd really like someone like this.

I often think of spock from star trek when this complex question comes up the only real reason to take a mate is to procreate. Most people not all can only tolerate a mate for a finite amount of time. This is why the divorce rate is so high.

I think most of us need some sort of connection, someone or something to care for, but autistic people and those with related spectrum disorders, seem to have less need for those interactions. I don't know a lot about it, but there seems to be a wide range, so it may be more prevalent in some than in others.

Great question... I just saw a comment similar to what I was about to offer. Maybe it’s my youth/age, I find for myself I’d like to be in love... it was better. I find I no longer need love, I want love... wanting and not having works for me... needing and not having creates anxiety, been there done that. For me I don’t need somebody to love, I’d like somebody to love.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 16, 2017

I'm where you're at regarding love. Took a long time to get there.

I think love can take on a lot of different shapes and forms and everyone has to discover that for themselves. But generally speaking, I think we are better people when we love, at least I am.

Not everyone needs someone to love, and not all people need to be loved.

But it does make this crazy ride called life a bit better.

in essence, everyone needs to know they can express something about themselves intimitely to someone else, some may haev a best friend that they feel they love, but as far as it goes to love someone, you first must love yourself and who you are as a person before you can love someone else

Tank is full, switch is on.
Night is warm, cops are gone.
Rocket bike is all her own.
It's called a hurricane.

She told me once it's quite a ride.
It's shaped so there's this place inside,
Where if you're moving you can hide.
Safe within the rain.

She wants to run away,
But there's nowhere that she can go.
Nowhere the pain won't come again.
But she can hide,
Hide in the pouring rain.
She rides the eye of the hurricane.

Tell the truth, explain to me
How you got this need for speed.
She laughed and said "it might just be
The next best thing to love. "

Hope is gone and she confessed
When you lay your dream to rest
You can get what's second best
But it's hard to get enough.

She wants to run away
But she can hide,

We saw her ride so fast last night.
Racing by a flash of light.
Riding quick, the street was dark,
A shining truck she thought was parked.
It blocked her path, stopped her heart,
But not the hurricane.

She saw her chance to slip the trap.
There was just the room to pass in back.
But then it moved, closed the gap.
She never felt the pain.

She wants to run away,
But she can hide,

• Eye Of The Hurricane, David Wilcox (from the album, How Did You Find Me Here)

Love these lyrics.

they want but not need

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8579
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.