Agnostic.com

15 0

What should I do when someone talks about my atheism like a mental disorder?

Zoro 3 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheist are open minded to religon

Whip it out and start peeing on their leg or shoes (for women). That will make them go away and leave you alone.

Start worshiping Satan, because apparently it's a step up.

Tell them you know an entire website full of non believers , welcome them to come challenge a vast amount of very intense intelectuales.

Ask them if they posess a degree in psychology and request to see the credentials which gives them the background and authority to evaluate your mental stability.

Shoot them and claim mental disability.

godef Level 7 Dec 16, 2017

Any energy you'd spend would be a win for them. I've learned long ago not to engage in meaningless arguments trying to prove a point to someone that doesn't have the ability to understand. Smirk and walk away.

Grim Level 4 Dec 16, 2017

laugh and then using logic explain to them that "true believers" are the ones with the mental disorder.

I either walk away or say "Interesting, especially coming from a person who worships an imaginary friend."

They don't have room to talk what with their imaginary friends and all.

But they do....and if you pay attention you will see they get infuriated, they insult you, call you ignorant with an intensity that grows with each fact you present to them. Their fear of being wrong takes over; the saddest part is they aren't even aware they are scared.
I let them rant...as I do with any person affected by idiocy or any other mental disease.

They think they have room to talk but they don't

You always can direct then to visit the "Clergy Project"...a website for guys who have left the priesthood. Enlightening.

Believing only that for which there is supporting evidence is realism, not a disorder.

Bite their kid.

I don't know that it's ever been insinuated to my face that I have a mental disorder. Well, not because of my being an atheist anyways.
I've been told I am wrong and that I will come to realize that when I am burning in hell for all eternity. But, I've learned a lot of things the hard way so...

What will you want to do? Do you feel threatened by the diagnosis?

I think more context is needed to offer any kind of suggestion. I have friends that are theist that will say things like that. I don't take offense. I assume they have limited exposure to atheist. My goal is to break the stereotype of the Imagine in their head. But if I was at a bar and someone over heard a conversation and started jumping in with that kind of stuff... It would be a different reaction.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.