Agnostic.com

12 3

Insomnia...

How many of you and to what extent do you have it? I literally can’t fall asleep until 2-3 a.m. And I only get a few hours. It’s terrible some nights.

Leo716 6 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most nights for me. It happens so consistently, and for such a huge portion of my life, since early childhood, that I've come to the tentative conclusion that I must have some sort of circadian rhythm disorder. It can be very fatiguing for me to even hold to a lax schedule. And my current schedule is not lax.

Hi. I sympathize completely. It seems to get worse all the time for me for no reason I can make out. I try reading, walking around, going to the kitchen for water and I have no solution so far. Tonight I'm watching television while I type and then off to bed. If I find something that seems to help consistently I will post it. In the meantime I do hope it gets better for you quickly - good luck!

I had severe sleep issues for years, until I participated in a sleep study at the Univ of FL.
I learned to change several pre-bed habits, and other mechanisms to help with falling
asleep, and more importantly, staying asleep. I did the study in 2011, and I've been sleeping better ever since.
If there are no sleep studies in your area, you could try searching online, perhaps google or youtube, for any information.

Oh man, welcome to my life. I have had chronic insomnia for so long I don't think I ever had good sleep patterns. I can share some of my solutions if you wish. They help me and after a while your body will fall into a rhythm and you don't need to use them as much.

@Aralt Some of the things that work for me are Magnesium (powder form taken at night), Skullcap and Passionflower (herbs that stops the mind from racing), a product called Calms Forte (homoeopathic, can be found in health stores and maybe CVS Riteaid) and my favorite is an adrenal balancer called Adrenal Health - Nightly Restore by a company called Gaia (also found in health food stores). If your up for a bit of research see what you can find out about them. I could go into detail here but it would take a while. Hope this is of some help.

@Aralt Oh my pleasure and I hope something works for you. If you have any questions I am more than pleased to help.

I have ALWAYS had insomnia. Doctors tried medicating me as a kid, but it either didn't work or it worked too well. Then I just dealt with it in my teens where I once went nine days without sleep. I would have terrifying dreams when I did fall asleep. Then I self medicated for years and years. Now I am back to just dealing with it. I am used to it at this point. Nutrition and natural remedies are how I keep it at a reasonable level now. Exercise and stuff.

I have had troubles with insomnia off and on since my teens. Currently it is job stress. I wake up reading chart notes or emails. Is something bothering you? Sometimes dealing with an issue will help. I have some herbal teas that help. Exercise during the days helps. A long soak in a hot bath with Epsom Salts will help me fall asleep. And if all that doesn't work, booze, benadryl, or just giving up.

Cannabis bath soaks are wonderful, and non psycho active. I feel badly for people that live in states that are still backwards about the prohibition. They are missing the science. CBDs and other Cannabanoids get rid of all pain, make on relax with no negative long term effects.

Alprazolam, zopiclone, diazepam, temazepam, etc... Pick one, no need to suffer...

ABack Level 6 May 20, 2018

I ma not a psychiatrist, but happen to know that insomnia is a symptom of anxiety and/or depression.

Off and on.

This app keeps me awake at times when I should be sleeping...

My experience with insomnia is extensive. I suffer from PTSD, have far too active a mind, and hate taking drugs to help me sleep.

I've found a blue light filter on my phone, coupled with a healthy diet (no caffeine after 4) and forcing myself to go to bed at a decent time helps.

Audiobooks, soft music, transcendental meditation, podcasts... are all preferable to looking at a lit screen. But generally I find white noise to work the best. A fan, generally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.