Agnostic.com

26 1

Sneeze comment

As an Atheist and people sneeze around me I usually say nothing. A friend of mine gave me crap when she sneezed and I said nothing.
As a mon believer in God and religion, i refuse to say “God bless you!”! Or even just “bless you!”
What do you say?

Dnosl8r 3 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Small demons are constantly floating around us and like another commentator said, waiting to rush into our open mouths and seize our soul. The sneeze separates our soul from our body but saying, bless you to the sneezie makes the demon draw back in fear of an angel of the lord attacking the demon for trying to steal the soul. See, a very simple answer to a problem that plagues mankind.

gol-ly ... scary shit !

Yes, and for those pesky Pentecostals speaking in tongues all the time and praying in them the same, they have gained the high ground here because they are using a language that the Devil cannot understand. WTF? Wait a minute. What idiot would actually believe that crap?

Fantastic mate, its that simple. Must be true!

'Gesundheit' is German for 'good health!'

pronounced -ger-suund-hite

That's good too, and secular.

I had a laugh years ago when someone asked me what that meant.
I told them it's saying "go fuck yourself"
They believed me.

On the sneeze, that is.

Sometimes I respond to a sneeze with, "You are so good looking."

Ahh, Seinfeld🙂

I am German - we say "Gesundheit". Which means "I wish you good health". I stick to this in English.

Joerg Level 3 May 23, 2018

Marvellous Joerg. Hopefully there is the answer to everyone's third party sneezing woes!

You could ask her, "You want me to stop the Devil from stealing your soul?"

It was once believed that the soul separated from the body when you sneezed, so the blessing was added to stop the Devil from grabbing it.

I still say bless you, but I rarely say god bless you. It’s not religious in my mind it’s just habit.

Go for "Gesundheid "

This is about as far from the biggest problem I have with religion as you can get. There are about 100 things that you could say that don’t include God, all of them better than an awkward silence. I tend to go with, salute.

WTF, where the hell did THAT come from?

I aay the Spanish "Salud!

Athiests already have a different place in community. We have to be nice.Saying a bless you is okay. It equal to wishing thier well being

Atta boiiiii!

Since a sneeze spews thousands of germs it is a good idea to tell someone to cover their mouth. Bless you goes back to the ignorant and superstitious notion that the devil would try to enter person after a sneeze when in fact the person was potentially spreading disease to others.

“ May your gods not be disappointed in you! “

"God bless" is fine with me. It's simply a reflexive response based upon long custom and most often involves as little thought or significance for most folks as that they usually give to the words they intone as the Lord's Prayer or, I'm guessing, the pledge of allegiance.

"Cover your mouth and wash your hands"......if anything at all.

I say "A tes souhaits". In french it means "All best wishes (to your health)";
so I guess you could use "Santé" ?

Tilia Level 7 May 22, 2018

I've always said gesundheit, which means good health

What me and the 3 kids actually do is yell... Ahhhh! And duck for cover... especially with the youngest daughter.

Cover your mouth

It's part of our social order that we generally offer something when someone sneezes. It's more about manners and less about the religious undertones. Saying, "bless you" doesn't necessarily translate to "see you at church on Sunday." Rather, it's just a friendly gesture. That's why we normally just say "thanks" in response instead of something more Godly.

Playing devil's advocate, I'm a proponent of removing all religion related phrases, traditions, displays, etc. Maybe it's time we challenge the status quo. Perhaps, we need to find a secular way to respond to a sneeze. Or, maybe we do as suggested and say nothing at all. How often do you acknowledge a cough or hiccup? Why is a sneeze different?

A patronizing 'Bleeeeeeeeeees!' god is meaningless so is all the language and phrases associated with it. I say for 'For god's/christ's sake', 'For the love of god' 'God knows?'......it doesn't mean anything, I also find the words 'god' and 'fuck' inter-changeble 🙂

Cover your mouth, l just washed this shirt!

That seemed to have come about because it was believed that the soul temporarily left the body when someone sneezed and the devil could get in - So quite a lot of believing to be done there!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.