• 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 6 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 2 votes
NotConvinced 7 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Go away with gun control, gun free zones get people killed. Criminals do not regard the laws, and could acquire weapons and accessories all too easily on the black market. Look at the most recent school shooting, a handgun and shotgun were used. The legislation the far left pushes for such as a ban on bump stocks and high capacity magazines, tougher background checks, or raising the minimum age to purchase would not have prevented that shooting. We have a moral problem in this country, not a gun problem, and that key word you use often "tolerance" is part of the equation...or rather that it is lacking in said equation is what's part of the problem.

@NotConvinced That is freaking sweet!

I vote for gun control, parental responsibility and a societal change.

I voted go away with gun control but in actuality I think they would be significantly reduced with gun control

They go away with gun control. I know this, because other countries have already proven it. You'd think an atheist page would understand doing a little research on a topic before making up their own mind.

This is not a vote, this is a harsh criticism on how well propaganda works by lobbyists and politicians to drown out actual existing data.

Sensible gun regulation is crucial. But it won't be enough by itself. Australia also implemented a buy back program. We would need to do that as well. I'm not sure what other factors were important in their success. I'm not well-read on the subject.

Right now, the propaganda has been so stupendously effective that people flip out at the idea of even having the discussion.

There are a number of factors at play, and none of them are simple enough to break this down to basic solutions. There are a lot of guns out there and a lot of resistance to giving them up. Gun control must be addressed carefully. Banning guns will still leave a lot of guns out there for quite some time, even if it could be done. Requiring an ammunition purchase permit would be a control that might work better, but there will be a lot of resistance and some stockpiles.
As for parenting, that is a separate minefield. Sometimes, that just isn't enough. Holding parents responsible if their kid gets their unsecured gun and kills someone would be a good start, but that is still difficult.
Societal changes and ending bullying are just unrealistic, but somehow ending toxic masculinity and teaching healthy masculinity would help society in so many ways. But this, like parenting, is not 100% effective, nor is there a simple way to do so.
We need to combine a lot of different approaches and accept that there is no simple fix. It will take time, money, work, and sacrifices by our entire country to find a way to end this.

We need campaign finance reform - NRA.

Sensible gun regulation is an important part of the solution, but no, it won't fix things by itself. We should take a hard look at how other nations have successfully addressed their mass shooting problem and be willing to implement as much of that as possible.

vita Level 7 May 21, 2018

Why do you think I think that? I don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.