Agnostic.com

9 8

LINK Mississippi "In God We Trust" License Plate Design Unconstitutional - American Humanist Association

To display any statement on the back of one’s vehicle is to promote that statement. Unlike the use of “In God We Trust” on money, which is only visible if one makes an affirmative effort to read it, the larger public display of “In God We Trust” on motor vehicles, alongside bumper stickers and other signage, more clearly makes a statement endorsing the theistic assumptions underlying the phrase. The problem, obviously, is that many individuals do not believe in a God, let alone trust in him, her, or it. Thus, to create a standard license plate that displays that phrase, with no alternative at an equal cost that avoids such a statement, unconstitutionally endorses religion.

zblaze 7 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can't you choose a vanity plate and have it say what you like? Personally I find it foolish for people to self-identify as anything at all on their vehicle, as it makes them a target for random strangers who feel the opposite to do bad things. Case in point someone got refused emergency road service because the dude driving the wrecker didn't like their bumper stickers.

Good luck, we are still forced to have that in Florida as well as one that says "Choose Life" I have an Army Veteran plate so I don't have to have that drivel.

When I see a plate that says choose life I tell the driver thanks for being pro-choice because you can't choose life unless you have a choice

I pay extra in Florida for a black colored TB Buccaneers plate. I will NOT tolerate having that god shit on the back of my vehicle. I used to have a Challenger memorial plate.

Went into e restaurant once that had a sign: In God we trust...all others pay cash.

Maybe Utah's should read "in children, we reproduce". ?

Why do they need to have that on their license plate?

Is their faith so shaky they need to be reminded of it everywhere they look?... The fridge door, the garage door, the bathroom cabinet, the house keys etc etc...

Yerp. The louder someone proclaims their faith, the weaker it is I suspect. And really, what kind of God would want shaved apes endlessly praising him, pretty sure he or she would want us to find more productive use of our talents.

I find it highly unconstitutional. I'd like to see it stopped entirely. Including on all currency.
The National Motto should be returned to
E Pluribus Unum.

The problem is that they have made IGWT the national motto. First we need to fight that part and get a proper national motto and then we can get rid of this religious infestation with the IGWT stuff...

Our county Sheriff cars have it in large font across the back. Grrrr.

I'm sure you meant county sheriff's. That would piss me off.

@zblaze sure did. Thanks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86922
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.