Agnostic.com

16 4

Social environments

Browsing through posts, I have the impression that many of the users of this site live in environments that make it hard for them to openly admit their lack of religious faith (which is possibly why they are here).
To get more of a feel for this I'd like to invite you to select one of the following answers about where you live:

• 22 votes
  • 22 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 8 votes
Coffeo 8 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in the bible belt but not in an area where it's difficult to admit a lack of faith. It's a small Southern town that was taken over by the aerospace industry, with one of the highest PhD per-capita in the nation. A small blue dot in a red state.

skado Level 9 Dec 17, 2017

Huntsville?

Yes.

Congrats on not electing Mr. M. There is hope.

I do hope it signals a political awakening in Alabama.

@skado Congrats on electing Doug Jones. That election gave me some hope.

You would think that a place in the southwest would be just a mite less religious. My state is listed as the 18th most religious state in the US, but where I live just happens to be the most religious town in the state. I have no problem stating my position, but that's because I'm old, ornery, and I don't have to hold a job. I know others here who have a lot of trouble with their atheist views.

I live in rural Maine, USA. The town I live in has a Subway sandwich shop, a Dunkin Donuts, a dollar store, 2 gas station/convenience stores (1 with an attached McDonalds), A golf resort with hotel and restaurant (seasonal), a veterinarian and a clinic. Oh, how could I forget, a famous water bottling plant. I think that's it. Most people here are not necessarily church goers (some are) but I think they all believe in God, Heaven and Hell. Needless to say, I'm a transplant to the area. Most aren't that well edjucated but have a down home kind of sensability. Most are kind and friendly and then you find out they are bigots and love Trump. I come here for intelligent conversation.

Southern Arizona may not be considered “Bible Belt”, but let me tell you, they can thump with the best of em. My town has about 20/30 houses of worship, unfortunately not much diversity, it’s the one thing I miss coming from SE PA, that, cheese steaks and real pizza.
I don’t go around with an A/A badge, but so far I haven’t been challenged when the subject comes up... you know, politics and religion. It’s a Red state, slowly turning a bit Blue... slowly.
As I read in another’s comments, I find quite a few racist trump supporters and have had a few heated political discussions with “a neighbor”... ugh.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 17, 2017

I live 60 miles east of Manhattan .This town has many different churches and evidently many church goers . I only know of two non believers who happen to be husband and wife friends of mine

The UK where a majority profess no membership of any church.

Daff Level 2 Dec 17, 2017

I live in the state of Georgia, in a rural county near a college town. There are literally multiple churches per street intersection in the college town (and typically one big church, southern baptist, per rural community). Upon meeting someone new, you can expect to be asked "what church do you go to" within the first five minutes. Teachers openly proselytize as school, and my oldest had run ins over it. Trump/Pence bumper stickers are common as are "support the blue" because, you know, cop persecution. I'll stop there as I am sure you get the idea. I am not openly nonbelieving here as I could be fired for it and my kids could be punished pretty severely.

Zster Level 8 Dec 17, 2017

I'm thinking that louisiana is in the bible belt. We got a church about every 2 miles in our adjoining towns. I don't really know.

Yes, Bob, I think that's a safe assumption. 😉 I'm in Baton Rouge, which is a smidge more cosmopolitan than most of the state--obvious exception for N.O., but still heavily Christian.

Religion isn't even a topic of discussion in most of my conversations; it's just not important in the UK.

I live in Kansas City Missouri, and everyone that knows me well knows me to be an Atheist. I don't hide who I am. Many people who liked me and then discovered I'm a man who doesn't respect faith have distanced themselves from me. I find it makes it easier for me to surround myself with quality people.

Live in the UK. Luckily when I was growing up my parents weren't very religious. They Christened me, to make sure that I had a choice of schools to go to when I reached that age but they left me to make my own decisions about religion and tried not to influence them too much.

Despite what many people think, depending on which papers and media outlets you read, the UK is relatively 'godless'. Less people going to church etc. However, there is still a disproportionate advantage given to religion in society, the non elected positions of governance, tax free status etc.

Sounds pretty much like Australia.

All these many years after the initial colonization of America, we remain a deeply Puritan society in many ways. It's incredibly frustrating. I think bigotry, especially racism, is the only other social vein that runs as deep, and I think the two reinforce each other, or at least, conservative religion is the attempted "stamp of divine authority" to excuse the racism. Religion is supposed to be about guidance in living a good life, but it generally fails at that. What it REALLY is is a means for people to feel special, set apart from others and, in the immortal words of Dana Carvey's Church Lady, "Just a Liiiiiiii-tle bit Superior!"

usa where they mutilate their newborn males at an 80% ratio. What a mess !

I live near Portland Oregon, where they have the lowest church attendance (or at least admit to it) of any major city in the U.S.

The two places I know best, New Zealand and Germany are also among the most secular nations on earth. In Germany I found it was far more likely to be attacked for having a believe, ranging from traditional church faith to whatever, extraterrestrials, than for being an atheist. New Zealand people on the whole don't care what you believe, as long as you don't loudly announce that you follow Satan. Or come knocking on their door to sell your brand of believe. Kiwis don't like either of those much.

I live in eastern Washington State, an enclave of misogeny, racism (NOT as bad as the bible belt south) and republicans. There are some Democrates and free thinkers. Many religious folks, in this 176 unit complex there are 2 bible study groups and I pretty much keep my thoughts on that to myself.

I can see why you mentioned Canada being close. Are things better on the Washington seaboard? I had an e-pal who liked living in Ocean Shores, but I think she was probably religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8744
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.